:) 5- Hashtag Attacked (:

Start from the beginning

"Lily! What's up girl?"

"Lucy, can I ask you a question?" Lily asks nervously.

"Of course. Shoot," I let her speak.

"Do you and James have a history?"

"I mean I've known him for years. We tell each other everything," I answer.

"So, you guys are just friends..." She reassures herself.

"Yes, just friends. We've never done anything with other intentions," I repeat, making sure she doesn't miss the point that we're friends.

"Ok. Thanks Lucy," Lily says, ready to hang up.

"Wait. I get a question," I stop her from ending the call.

"Fair enough," She says letting me speak.

"Do you like James?" I ask tentatively.

"Umm, yeah. He's sweet and kind. And talks so highly of all you guys, reminds me of what a perfect guy should be," Lily answers.

"You like him for all the perfect reasons. He deserves someone great, you seem to get the job done," I reply, trying to make sure we don't get too serious and keeping it lighthearted.

"Thanks for being so nice Lucy. I'll see you later."

"Of course. Goodbye and good night Lily," I say and hang up.

About 3 minutes after I hang up Stef walks out of the bathroom in her pjs, ready to go to bed. It's already 1 in the morning so seems reasonable to go catch some Zs. I go change and brush my teeth, no words being exchanged until we're both in Stef's bed. "Why did Lily call?" Stef sparks conversation and turns to face me.

I turn to face her, "She wanted to make sure James wasn't two timing her."

"Two timing with you?" Stef laughs.

"Yes, apparently she thought we used to have some sort of thing," I answer her.

"You two do have a thing. You are meant to be. We've been shipping Jucy since you guys met."

"Shut up Stef," I make a comeback.

"Real original," Stef turns to lean on her back again.

"Can't wait for the Couple's Cult to be complete." Stef sighs.

"Go to sleep," I slightly slap her arm and turn to face my back towards her.

Stef turns off her lamp, making the room pitch black. I lay in the bed thinking about what all conversations have seemed to have surrounded around since I got to Stef's: James.

The cult needs to chill its tits and let me make my own decision. Like I have any to make, single for now, loner for always. At least James now has a girl that will treat him right, hopefully. I know that he'll treat her like an angel, but I don't know Lily enough to make a fair judgement. I shift to thinking about Lily.

She seems to honestly like James. Although, does she trust him? Lily wouldn't have called if she actually trusted James. At least my little white lie seemed to reassure her, hopefully enough into trusting James.

Why had I lied? I could have told her the truth, I should've. I've now started a relationship with my best friend's soon to be girlfriend with a lie. There was a history with James, one that wasn't just friendly. No one knew about it and James and I had agreed to keep it to ourselves.

It was a mistake. One that I tried not to think about, yet it always seemed to creep its way back into my thoughts. Lying is bad, I know that, but it was for the benefit of Lily and the relationship that was blooming.

-*-

It was the beginning of Junior year, so a long while ago. The gang was already friends, had been for a while already. My best friend, a.k.a. Stef, has just gotten together with Zach. Well, not officially, they were starting to see each other I guess you could call it. Obviously, I was happy for them but this meant that I was the last single girl in the group. James was also single, but he didn't have to live through the torment of being told all the developments in your friends relationships and get told that your life is boring.

Anyway, I was talking to James that night, and I mean late at night, around 3am. I was PMSing at the time as well, and thinking about what had happened earlier that day: Grace was starting her evolution into sometimes-bitchy-sometimes-cool-but-usually-very-mean-to-me Grace.

"James, I'm so alone," I cried.

"Lucy, calm down please," James tried to calm me.

"Yeah. Ok. I can do that," I breathed out.

"Lucy, if you really want someone you can find someone easily."

"What do you mean?"

"Umm, I can help you... experience," James quietly stated, getting softer as he continued speaking.

"James, are you suggesting that we..." I died off.

"I guess? I just don't like seeing you sad over such things."

"Well, I'm honored that you would do that but..."

"I just don't like Grace being that way with you. I want you to be happy," James interrupted.

"Thank you, James."

After our exchange that night, or morning, we never spoke again about it. Sure, it was an offer but I never took it seriously. We were both drunk on sleep, there's no way we meant what we said. We'll always be best friends. Best friends.

Interesting how things work out.

-*-

"Morning sleepyhead," Stef splashes water in my face.

"What the fuck!" I scream and scramble around in the bed, "What is your problem!"

"Hashtag attacked!"

"You are evil! Evil, I tell you!"

"Why are you so wet? James get you excited?" Stef smirks.

"Fuck off," I say and walk to her closet to get clothes.

Once we both got changed we went to the kitchen for breakfast. "Waffles?"

"Waffles!" I scream back.

At the table we're quietly eating our waffles. Stef keeps stealing glances in my direction, freaking me out a little. "What?" I breathe.

"You were mumbling in your sleep," Stef looks at me.

"What about?"

"I dunno it was mumbled," She looks at me questioningly.

"Then was I really talking?" I act all logical.

"Could you have said something about the left side of the bed?" Stef thinks out loud, "You always sleep on the right though."

My breath hitches slightly. I know what she's talking about. How could I ever forget.

"Really? Must of been a nice dream," I act like I don't know what she's talking about.

"Lucy, seriously? A nice dream?" She mocks.

"Yes, a nice dream," I repeat back to her.

"I know that you're lying," Stef gives me a pointed look.

I cower under her glare. I never told Stef anything and she's my best friend. Maybe it's about time I say something.

"Umm, okay. Stef, I have something to tell you."

I got up and walked to the kitchen. "Coffee first, you'll need it."

-*-
Little author's note. I'm gonna start being needy. Like the bitch I am :)
Nah, I'm just gonna ask for you to vote and comment. Cause that would be pretty cool. Don't you think? Yes? Yes.