Happy-ish Accidents(Kirito x Reader)

Anime: Sword Art Online

Request: novaqueen123

(A/N: A million apologies for not writing this sooner!)

This was not how you were planning on spending your life. You weren't even planning on playing SAO until your cousin convinced you to try it. He told you that from what he heard it was the most realistic VR game to date. 

As for a review, it was a little too realistic for you. You wanted to get out of this game, or at least die trying to get others out, so you vowed right then and there that you would do your best to beat the game. Which is how you got into this situation, about a year later. 

You never ended up joining a guild because you were a little iffy on trusting others. You knew that it would probably be your downfall, but you just couldn't bring yourself to join a guild. However, you meant what you said in the beginning of the game when you said that you were willing to die to get others out alive so you became known as a sort of shield. Smaller guilds would hire you to protect them on missions and you'd get a percentage of the profit. You had never lost anyone until today. You had been hired by a group called the Black Cats to be an extra guard, they said that they wanted to test you out in case they ever decided that they really needed you. Once there you had immediately noticed the "Beater" which you knew of course from previous instances. (It's hard to avoid other solo players)

From the moment the fatal mistake was made you knew what was coming. Kirito and you fought hard, but you dropped your guard to protect one of the weaker members and were stabbed. After that, your movements were only quick enough to block. 

The two of you weren't enough, however, and the rest of the group died. You walked out of the dungeon in shame and self-hatred. You each quietly tried to convince the other person that you were the one to blame. 

"They hired me to protect them."

"They were my guild."

"It was my job."

"They trusted me."

"It was both of our faults, okay?" You finally said. "It's our job with higher skills to protect those who can't defend themselves. We both failed."

"Is that why you do what you do?" Kirito asked.

"Yeah," You replied, turning away. "I swore that I would do everything that I could to protect everyone I could when I first found out that it was beat the game or death."

"That's brave and selfless." Kirito said. 

"Well, how else are those who are afraid supposed to survive?" You said, getting angry. "Just because you're willing to risk your life to beat the game doesn't that everyone is. Some of them are just kids."

"I never said that what you were doing wasn't important." Kirito said.

"Then why aren't you using your skills to do the same?" You shot back, furious. "I've always wondered how you could be so selfless to be solo and just focus on yourself."

"I'm doing my best so that people can get out of the game faster!" 

"What good is that is that if only the people who are fearless will get out!"

"You obviously have that part covered, so why should I worry about it?"

"There's only so much that one person can do!"

"Well, evidently none of us are that great considering that they all died because of us!"

You stopped. "You're right."

"What?" Kirito asked, turning around to where you stand. 

"You're right." You repeated louder. "Neither of us could defend them. And that's our fault. From now on, I'm going to make sure that I can always defend anyone who asks for it." You told him before starting to walk again. "The next time we'll meet, you can be sure of that."