Picnic

Merlin’s POV

Not everything was alright in Camelot. Not in the least. From what Gaius had told me, Morgana still had her army, there was still no cure for the many separated from their souls, and a earthquake last night had caused damage to some parts of the lower town.

However, it seemed almost as if nothing could possibly go wrong. Arthur, my one, my only, the partner to my soul, loved me. And I loved him. What else could I possibly ask for? There was nothing in me besides happiness, overflowing joyful happy happiness. And I couldn’t stop smiling. Truly, my cheek muscles had begun to feel sore with all the dopey smiling.

Maybe there were two feelings. I could not wait to see Arthur again. Soon after our confessions, Arthur was called out to a meeting on Camelot’s next order of business. Of course, we had failed on our mission in Morgana’s castle, now we had to do something else.

The newest question was what we would do, but that was all being figured out. Personally, I couldn’t think about that as much as I would have liked. My mind just kept jumping back to Arthur. I wondered what Arthur’s ideas were, who he was listening to, exactly what position he was sitting in. Most of all, I wondered if he continued thinking of me right now, like I was thinking of him.

And then I was thinking about how much I wanted to kiss him the next time I saw him. If he liked me, maybe he wouldn’t mind too much? But maybe he would and then I would ruin everything we had. I did have a plan, though. I would ask Arthur if he thought it was a good idea, and if he said yes we would find a place and time, all secluded and nice, and then we would have our kiss.

I wasn’t sure why I was so nervous, I had kissed before, but this was different for some reason or other. I felt like I was hanging off a cliff. One wrong move and I would fall, but if I did the correct thing, I would fly.

It was really either or. I had a right to be nervous.

I couldn’t risk messing things up with Arthur. I simply couldn’t. I was sort of obsessing, wasn’t I? That didn’t matter. He was someone that deserved obsessing over.

I had noticed Gaius leaving earlier while Arthur and I were talking, although I hadn’t paid much attention to where he had gone.

When my uncle came back, appearing to be eager and excited, I understood why. Gaius knew me well enough to read the signs. With his slightly crooked smile that never parted his lips, Gaius sat next to me.

“Well?”

The dopey smile, that had disappeared for a moment when Gaius walked in, stretched my lips yet again, “He likes me!”

“Ahh!” Gaius jumped up with me, and we hugged, “I knew he did! Congratulations my boy, good for you!” And I had just managed to stop with this nonstop smiling before this man ruined all of my progress! Was everybody doing this too me intentionally?

And that was the intermission to a long period of waiting. It might have been another two hours until a castle servant came into the room. Not George, I was glad to see, but not even he could spoil my mood today.

“Arthur asked me to relay a message to you. He’s out of his meeting, and requests that you meet him in the stables exactly thirty minutes from now. You need bring nothing besides yourself. That’s about all… Thank you, have a nice day,” And then the man left.

I knew I wasn’t about to be late. I had an entire thirty minutes to be there but… Well maybe Arthur was there early, and the sooner I got to see him the better. I left right away, waving goodbye to Gaius as I strode through the castle halls.