Plans and Changes

Arthur's POV: 

I don't know how long it was, but when I opened my eyes again, I was in Gaius's chambers. He couldn't possibly be here yet, could he? Surely he would have taken longer than that...

How long had I been asleep anyways? I only remember being so tired when it all darkened. I had ridden without break because Merlin.... Merlin!

Had I missed the meeting that I myself had called? I had to be more responsible than that as the king- as Merlin's friend. If I called myself Merlin's friend, I had to at least do this for him. 

I ignored the way my muscles ached as I jumped out from the bed, surprised by the way the room swirled once I was on my feet. I supposed I could push past it. 

Happy to see it was only early evening, and I still had time to get to the meeting, I pushed myself to the meeting hall, slightly annoyed when I heard voices already coming from it.

"Yes Sirs, King Arthur was a full week ahead of most, although he was only about a day ahead of me. He wanted to gather an army and save his servant, Sirs,"

I recognized the young male voice. Had he been with us at Morgana's fortress? I know he was a knight in training, but what was his name again? Roald? Ronald? Roland? Everything was still blurry. 

"Morgana has Merlin?" Who was that? Leon?

"Yes, Sir. And the king requires we do everything to get him back safely and in one piece," It almost seemed as if the boy was reading my mind. When had I even talked to him?

"He wants to build up an entire army for one individual?" Who was that? Elyan?

"Merlin is our friend, Rowan, but we wouldn't send everybody we have after him" Percival? But wouldn't Percival want Merlin back? Weren't they friends?

"I'm sorry, child, but they're right. I personally know Merlin as an amazing person, but neither I, nor Camelot will be sending our armies after him." A female voice. Strong voice. Familiar Voice. A Queen's voice. Annis? Oh, she was supposed to be coming wasn't she?

"So you're going to go against king Arthur's orders and leave him behind? When Arthur wakes up, he will not be happy. I actually doubt he'll even let some of you live. You're being traitorous, disobeying his direct orders. What will he think of that?" Rowan. I really did need to know him better. 

"I know Arthur personally, and he is not the type to kill so easily, like his father did," Annis... 

"Besides, who said we were going to leave Merlin behind?" Gwaine.... So he was there too.

"We only said we can't bring an army after him," Was that... Leon again?

"But the knights of the round table can go," Elyan

"And we're as good as five armies" Percival 

"Besides, Arthur is my sworn ally, and so, any friend of Arthur's, I will gladly help and protect," Annis. I hadn't liked where this was going before. Now I just might have.

"What are you saying?" Rowan. 

"We're saying that at least four of Camelot's best knights are going," Leon.

"And The four best from Caerleon will attend as well." Annis

"Arthur wouldn't miss it for the world" Gwaine. 

"That makes nine" Leon

"We'd need to find a tenth." Percival

"I can go with you!" Rowan. 

"Nonsense. You're not even a knight yet" Annis. 

It was at this time I remembered I had been standing outside the door during this entire conversation. Maybe it would be a good time to join in now?

I pushed open the double doors, striding through and ignoring the shocked looks from my knights. 

"He is now." The only stare I actually paid attention to was Rowan's.

"S-sire?" 

"Come the main hall when this meeting is over. You will be knighted."

"B-but... I haven't passed my test yet, Sire" 

"You're test was rescheduled. You showed me all I need to see." 

I turned to Annis, feeling slightly guilt about ignoring her presence. I nodded at her in acknowledgement. 

"Queen Annis. I hope your stay in Camelot has been enjoyable so far. My apologies for not greeting you upon arrival myself,"

Annis nodded back, "That's alright, Arthur. I understand you had important things to tend to, and do agree that Morgana needs to be taken down," 

"Thank you" 

Another nod, "As for you, Arthur Pendragon. You're riding out tonight."

Author's Note:

Well, it wasn't too bad. Was it? Same deal as last chapter. I do love your comments, so please keep sending them. I had some truly wonderful comments on my last chapter, although one of them was a tiny bit.... Scary.

Same deal as last chapter. Five well-written comments and I'll publish the next.