Magic Versus Medicine

"My boy....." Gaius was at the door, he had been warned beforehand what was coming, but I caught the way his eyes widened as he saw his unresponsive ward. Of course, Gaius was like a father to Merlin, and Merlin was like a son to Gaius. There was no doubt that Gaius would be affected profusely by this turn of events concerning his ward. Still, somehow, Gaius put on his professional emotionless face after that first moment and set to work examining the black haired boy. 

It didn't take long for Gaius to straighten up for his bent position over Merlin. He beckoned me over, sighing slightly. 

"Sire. His palms and knees are skinned, but I can't do anything about his soul. No physicion could help him from this point," My vision was suddenly cloudy as unfallen tears threatened to overpower my vision. There was no chance for Merlin? After too long in a comatose state like this, he would die of starvation, or of dehydration. 

"So, he's beyond saving, then..." I found myself backing numbly into one of Gaius's rickety wooden chairs. My elbows were on my knees and my face in my hands. This was not happening. This could not be happening. I had forgotten to tell Merlin I love him.

"Sire, when did I ever say that?" And suddenly, there was a beam of light shining through my dark world. I would do whatever it took to save Merlin. I couldn't let him die, or remain like this, not after everything we've been through. 

"Do you mean to say we can save him, Gaius?" Gaius looked hesitant, but spoke up, glancing at Merlin and then back at me. 

"There is, Sire, one thing that may wake up Merlin, but it may be.... well... magical." I didn't care. All the sorcerers in Albion could be in Camelot if they wanted to, just as long as they made my friend better. 

"Whatever it takes, Gaius. Just tell me what to do." The physician nodded, and shifted his gaze to a window.

"You must find the druids, Sire. Tell them of your problems, they will help. But go weaponless. If you threaten them they may be hesitant to help..." I stood up. I was going to find the druids, and I was going to save Merlin. I had to, so that I could tell him when he woke up. 

"Oh, and Sire? One more thing," I had already reached the door, but I turned back for Gaius to speak, "Good luck."

Author's Note: This is probably the shortest chapter to ever appear in this story.... I'm sorry... But hopefully it's worth reading at least..... Yeah... Well, I hope you all like it!