Only Magic Casts Spells

"For me? But you couldn't have been! When did I announce my departure?" My father had taught me to never show fear, or weakness. These people actually made me doubt if I could keep up that facade.

"Far after we knew you would be coming. Arthur Pendragon, your arrival in this place has been written in our books. It is an honor to meet you." The man, bald head and all, nodded kindly to me. His mouth lifted into a small smile, and his eyes slightly crinkled in the corners. He looked truly happy to see me.

"So you know who I am," I nodded in acknowledgement. I closed my eyes for a moment, picturing Merlin's face in my mind. I had to remain calm and collected. For him.

"Better than you do, child. We know who you are and who you are to become," A shiver ran down my spine. It took every ounce of self control I possessed to not shake. "We also know why you have come."

"So you can help me?" The shiver was gone at once, replaced by a jolt of excitement sautéed in nervousness. This was my chance to save Merlin. If I made even the slightest mistake now, he was done for.

"In more ways than you are yet to know. Come, child, let me show you something," The man, still smiling stepped forward towards me. He turned to a small path I had failed to notice before and began to walk, gesturing at me to follow as he went.
I stepped into place next to him easily, the man was walking painfully slowly. He watched the trees and plants around him as if on a leisurely stroll through a courtyard.

"Did you like our song? It was written particularly for you, Arthur Pendragon, many years back. Some of our ancestors spent their lives writing it,"

"For travelers in the woods, I think you mean. I still don't believe that you knew I was coming," I remarked, crossing my arms over my chest as we walked. The man's head turned to look at me, and I shifted my gaze to stare straight ahead, although I still watched the man from the corner of my eye.

"You did not recognize your Druid name, then? Interesting, most do. I suppose they all have magic as well, though, so maybe that's it," I watched him tilt his head slightly as he observed me.

"Druid name? What's that to mean?" I had heard of true names, of course. If a person were to know another's, that person would have complete control over the said other. The other would be forced to bend to that person's will, no matter what had been asked of them. All freedom of thought and decision was stolen. Hopefully, Druid names did not work in the same way.

"Simple, child, the druids have multiple names and titles in our own tongue for somebody as important as you are. To us, you are more than simply King Arthur Pendragon." I did not understand how 'King Arthur Pendragon' was a simple title. Besides, the Druid master had been acting as if I were young and naive.

"Then why do you keep calling me a child? If I'm so important, why am I not respected by your people?" It was not a question of arrogance, nor was it one for my own ego. I was simply curious, and so, I asked.

For the first time, the man looked at me seriously and solemnly, as a peer, "Because you have not yet grown to be the man we are waiting for, Arthur. Once you have, we will we show you our true, undying respect for that man." There was a moment of silence in which only the crunching leaves beneath our feet was the only sound in the forest. I found myself understanding the Druid's much better than i had only minutes ago. I understood the way they saw the world, and what exactly pushed them so far to continue living like this. They were waiting. For me.

"We have arrived, child. Se Cleofa Sylfum Ealdspellum, or in your language, the cave of stories. Before we enter, you must listen to me carefully. Do you understand?" I nodded, pearing into what I could make out of the cave entrance. When we had arrived to this spot, I did not know. I could only see darkness when I looked in, and leaves when I looked around. There was no trace of the trail we had arrived to this spot on. Some spell, no doubt.

"I am listening. What do you need to tell me?" The respect I found myself speaking in surprised even me. Maybe it was the realization that I was in a new place, without knowledge of exactly where that place was.

"This is sacred ground, child. Do not touch anything without permission, any wall, any pebble, any book in this cave could destroy you. It is not to be known before its time. Some things in this world must remain a mystery until it is ready. If that information is released to one it should not be, many people may die. Follow me and do not go a step out of place. Do you follow me, child?" The solemness he spoke with left little room to doubt his words.

"Yes..." Well, I couldn't really say no, could I? The sheer responsibility that had been suddenly thrown upon me was slightly overwhelming. I would tread lightly, for sure.

"Then follow me, child. Woe be it, for all of us, if you do not follow my instruction," I let the bald man pull up his hood and walk first, hesitantly following close behind.

"ácolitus," A single sweep of his hand and torches were lit all down the walls of the cave. There were books.

Piles upon piles of books lining every available surface. All had light colored bindings with large, cursive words, printed on them. Very few were in a language I could read. All were in some druid tongue, I could imagine spells made out of them, and that made me slightly nervous.

This could easily be a trap. The books could truly be some sort of binding or poison spell that would trap me in here until they killed me. For Merlin. I was doing this for Merlin, I couldn't run away now.

A narrow path wound its way between the books. I walked this, careful not to so much as to lean an inch outside of the small path. I could not risk messing this up. Not now. Not after I had come so far.

"Here we are. What you need is in this chest," The man knelt in front of said chest and whispered a short word. Shortly after, the cave echoed with sounds of some great deadlock being undone.

By the light of the flames, I gazed into this chest, the great secret that would save my friend. I must have expected medicines, or healing crystals, possibly a little phoenix to heal all his wounds. What I saw was a scroll.
One single, worn out piece of paper covered by dark, inky writing in the druid language.

"This? This is what you have for me?" I didn't bother to hide the disappointment I felt, and I could hear it dripping into my voice.

"This is more than it seems, young king. Look at it," The man, still kneeling on the ground, offered the single piece of paper to me, and I snatched it away, not bothering with politeness. As I thought, they were useless words in the old language. I couldn't understand them, how were they useful?

"What in the world could I possibly do with this?" I growled at the man, who somehow retained his calmness.
?
"Such a naive child, you are going to cast a spell"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Note: HUGE SHOUTOUT GUYS!!! I got an editor for this chapter, and possibly future ones! I swear this is one of the nicest people on wattpad. She's helped me out so much, and she's so cool and fun! Everybody please give a hand to MrsWho42!! She deserves a billion Internet hugs and a million Internet cookies.
Wouldn't it be nice if all our currency was in hugs and cookies?? Cookies would be more expensive than hugs, and we could all buy things for hugging the people working there...
Well, what do my awesome little readers think of this newest chapter? I worked really hard on it, as did my new friend (who I've already mentioned). And if you saw last chapter's comments, you probably saw that awesome people help push me to write faster.
None of you will expect what happens next. None of you. (Okay, maybe some of you will guess, but everyone else will get it wrong!) if you have a thought about where this story is going, comment below!
I love you alllll!!!