I Trust Her

For the first couple of moments, I didn't want to wake up. A bright light was beginning to show through my eye-lids, and I cursed them for being so thin. It was still easy to roll over, ignore it, and fall back asleep. That's exactly what I was going to do, but I then remembered that today I was going to serve Arthur again. Assuming that he understood my absence, Arthur might have sent George to check on me again, and I just couldn't deal with George two days in a row. 

So, I slowly forced myself out of bed, and got dressed for the day. Today the outfit was blue on red with the brown jacket, my second most usual. Breakfast was already prepared for me downstairs, and Gaius was moving around like I was. 

I sat down and began to eat my flavourless porridge, while Gaius bustled around behind me, making potions that he would have to deliver himself. Gaius raised an eyebrow at me when I appeared. He had a strange tendency to know exactly what was going on in my life, and it seemed he had heard about the tavern, but hopefully not about Tessrach.

"I heard you've found a girl." Gaius prompted, sitting across from me at the table. I hoped that he was talking about someone else, but seriously doubted it, so I played along. I put down my spoon and acted confused, as if I didn't know what he was talking about.

"Who told you that?" I asked, thinking that I already knew the answer.

"Gwaine." Yep, I knew the answer. "He seemed to think that you two were a perfect match. The way that you were talking and laughing in the tavern. That the both of you had strange names... her's being Tessrach," I laughed happily, and Gaius looked more alarmed, "Was it?" He asked

"It was." I confirmed, smiling. Gaius's eyebrows shot up at such an alarming rate that I thought for a moment as if they would fly off his face. I only laughed harder, "She's fine now, Gaius." I assured him, almost ready to head out the door by now. 

"You shouldn't trust her, Merlin." Gaius seemed to be trying to speak carefully, but it sounded more like he was telling me that I shouldn't be happy for myself. I had just gotten one of my very best friends back. What happened to the other one? Oh right, he died. And now I'm not supposed to have any more friends besides Arthur, apparently. I was the most powerful sorcerer ever to walk the face of the Earth, and here an old man was trying to tell me to stay away from someone like I was a kid. I wasn't a kid anymore. 

"Gaius, Tessrach was my best friend for seven years. I knew her better than I knew myself, and now you're here thinking that you know her better than I do! My friend just came back from who knows where, and you can't even pretend to be the least bit happy for me, can you? Well, of course you can't. If I feel happy, that's just when you can doubt me, huh? I've got news for you, Gaius. If there's one person I shouldn't trust right now, out of the two of you it isn't her!" With that I turned from Gaius, ignoring his hurt expression, and left the room, slamming the door behind me.

It was far better to be around Arthur than to be around Gaius. Arthur hadn't said anything about Tessrach yet, and I doubted that he knew. There were few ways he could have found out. I hoped that he didn't know, although I wasn't completely sure why. It would just feel better to me if Arthur didn't learn about Tessrach until I told him. 

I was laying Arthur's breakfast, as I watched him breath deeply in and out. He was asleep. That was probably the only reason he hadn't insulted me yet, although I was honestly surprised that he wasn't saying 'Merlin, you idiot.' in his sleep. Usually, this was my only insult-free time of the day, when Arthur was asleep and I was making preparations for his days. 

As I was preparing Arthur for his day, my mind began to wander to yesterday, and why Arthur had been avoiding me. He had, though, it wasn't just me making a big deal out of nothing. I did actually manage to see him once or twice during the day, but both times, he managed to make off before I was able to reach him. I knew that he saw me, too, because he had looked up, and his eyes had grown wide. A moment later he whispered something to George, then they had disappeared. 

I finally laid down the fork on a napkin. Now it was time to wake up Arthur. I slowly approached the bed, and spoke a couple gentle words. 

"Arthur! Get up!" Okay, maybe not so gentle, but I knew it wouldn't make Arthur wake up. He just rolled over, and pulled the blankets up to his chin.

"Wake up!" I said again, this time grabbing the blankets as I spoke and whipping them off. Arthur grabbed for the blankets that weren't there, but of course he couldn't find them. He opened his eyes, as he searched, which meant that I was successful. Arthur had woken up.

"Rise and shine!" I opened up the windows, and then looked back at Arthur, who was slowly sitting up in bed, and groaning. The sight of Arthur waking up always made me smile, especially when he was doing it by himself. "You have a training session in a quarter hour, then your to be in the court, and after that you have a bit of free time, before lunch, but then you may want to start writing your speeches for Queen Annis's arrival tomorrow. There should be a couple speeches to write, so that will take you until dinner. Right after dinner, I was wondering if you might want to meet a young woman named Tessrach? She's a friend of mine, and she was thrilled to have a chance to meet you."  Arthur groaned, and stretched his arms out above his head. He then stood up and walked towards the table and his breakfast. Here he sat down, and began eating the sausages, apple, and bread.

 "Such a busy day...." Arthur muttered, still yawning. "As for you, Merlin, you'll need to do everything that you always do, but also, mend my boots, and... write my speeches." I raised my eyebrow, and Arthur grinned back at me.

"You should probably write these ones yourself, Sire." I recommended, smiling a little to the ground. This was one I couldn't write for him. Their alliance had been a difficult one to make, and it was important to keep. 

"Why do you think I should do that?" Arthur asked in his 'you're and idiot' voice. 

"Because Queen Annis and you have a delicate balance when it comes to this matter. After all, it's the anniversary of the week you and she made peace, which also means it's the anniversary of her husband's death." I wasn't going to flat out say that Arthur killed him, although that was what had happened. Arthur nodded, like he agreed with what I was saying. That was always nice.

"And Tessrach, where did you meet her?' It wasn't as nice when Arthur took an interest in my personal life,

"In Ealdor. We used to be best friends." I explained, remembering all of the good times we had getting into trouble together.

"Your home village." Arthur muttered. He was speaking just to speak, I knew, which was fine by me. 

"She just came to Camelot last week. We met last night and just talked. She really wanted to meet you." I knew that I was repeating the 'really wanted to meet you part', but it was true. Tessrach had been excited. 

"Alright. Tell her I'm looking forward to meeting." I nodded. Now it was off to the practice field. 

Author's note: So, we have a short chapter today, but the next chapter's TRAINING!!! Let's see if that's any fun.

This is interesting. Gaius definately doesn't trust Tessrach, but when he brought it up, Merlin snapped at him! I'm so angry at Merlin right now! I really don't get why he was so rude.... I guess we'll find out.

As always, read, vote, comment, follow, suggest to friends, do what you people do! Be amazing! You always are....