Here In Your Arms

The afternoon sun was starting to set. It glowed a deep orange against the dusky blue sky. The air around them was warm and thick. It was the final days of summer and neither of them wanted anything more than to stay exactly where they were right now.

Lying on the bed of soft grass and wild flowers, she gazed up to the sky and watched the swallows swooping overhead.

"What are you thinking?" his voice was low and careful. His fingers grazed along her arm that was tucked under her head.

"I wish we could be like the birds,"

"To fly?"

"To be free," her eyes didn't move from the sky.

There was a long pause between them and a cool sea wind rustled the long grass around them. Off into he distance the faint shrill calls of the seagulls could be heard.

"I wish that too," He whispered back.

"Then why go? Why chose to leave?" she sat up suddenly, her eyes fixed on him.

He sighed and sat up also.

"You know why. It's the duty of al-"

"-of all men to protect their country," she cuts him off rolling her eyes.

"Forget England, your family need you, I need you Jack!" Her voice cracks "I need you," she whispers again.

He pulls her against him. Her body leans against his chest as her head nests in the crook of his neck. He gently strokes a hand through her soft blonde hair.

"I'll always be with you Ali," He whispers against her ear.

She pulls back slowly, tears pricking in her eyes "Not always, you leave tomorrow,"

Jack closes his hand around hers and places it against her chest "But I'll always be right here...just like you will always be right here," He moves their hands above his own heart.

Slow tears roll down Ali's cheeks. She turns her head to blink them away but Jack reaches out a hand and touches her face. Both hands cup her face as he swipes the pad of his thumb against her tears.

"Please don't cry my love," He whispers as he kisses away the tears. His lips leaving a warm tingle on her cheeks.

Ali forces a smile, her eyes gleaming with held back tears waiting to fall.

"I'll try," she forces a single laugh as she clears the lump from her throat and wipes her eyes dry.

Jack watched her closely. He took in her dainty face with its delicate features. Her green eyes, whilst bright, we're filled with a great sadness he knew would never go away. Her long blonde hair flowed softly in the breeze, the loose waves trailed down her back and hung just above her waist. He watched her try to force out a smile for him. Her perfect lips turned up at the edges and the little crinkle at her nose, that he loved so much, appeared.

In that moment, Jack could think of nowhere else he'd rather be. To him, she really was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. There was only one thing left to do.

Placing a gentle hand on the back of her neck, he slowly pulled her towards him. His lips met hers and he smiled against them before he vied for entry. The kiss was slow and gentle, there was no urgency. He wanted this moment to last. When he was away in France, he would remember this moment. He would remember how perfect she looked in the sunset, he would remember her sweet voice and he would remember the faint taste of peppermint humbugs lingering on her lips.

As the kiss broke apart, Ali kept her face only inches from his.

"Promise me you'll come back to me,"

"I will-"

"Promise me, Jack,"

"I promise you Ali,"

He wrapped his large hands over both of hers and brought them to his lips, kissing them.

"I promise,"