[Nordic Kitchen] Finnbiff and Norwegian Brown Sauce by Finn H Arlett

Admittedly, the name of the sauce is none too inspiring, but what it lacks in lyrical finesse it makes up for in flavour

Admittedly, the name of the sauce is none too inspiring, but what it lacks in lyrical finesse it makes up for in flavour. It's one of those warming, homely flavours that packs a moreish punch, perfect for red meats, meatballs, and root vegetables. A delicious winter classic.

Norwegian brown sauce gets its name from the colour, and also from the brunost (or brown cheese) that traditionally goes into it. Brown cheese is little misleading in name. It's actually a golden caramel colour and doesn't really taste much like you'd expect your average cheddar. It's like a sweet yet savoury ricotta and a little yeasty, but still packs a lovely punch. Traditionally it has a consistency more like fudge than cheese though, and only a little of this product is needed for the sauce.

The sauce itself is a simple addition to liven up a hearty meat or game dish, more like a really tasty stew. It's often served with shreds of venison (particularly reindeer) and bacon for a slightly more upmarket version, broadly called finnbiff. Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes and a dollop of lingonberry or cranberry.

Ingredients:

100 grams of butter (salted or unsalted).

5 tablespoons of plain flour.

500 millilitres of broth or stock (beef broth for a heartier taste, but vegetable is just as tasty).

5 generous slices of brown cheese. May be marketed as "ski cheese". Ricotta is a less authentic but readily available equivalent, but be aware this will change the taste!

1 onion (or half, to taste).

Your choice of root vegetables (diced) and/or button mushrooms (whole or sliced).

A pinch of black pepper.

For vegetarians: no meat, more veg, more mushrooms!

For vegans: butter equivalent. A strong, vegan cheese and a little sugar/caramelised sugar (to taste) might work, but this will alter the taste considerably.

Step 1) Sauce base:

Melt 100 grams of butter.

Gradually mix in 5 tablespoons of plain flour

Stir (without burning) until the sauce reaches a deep tan colour. Keep going! During the mixing process, the base will change to a slightly runnier consistency.

The prolonged mixing adds to the flavour of the sauce.

Step 2) Making the sauce:

Add in the half litre of broth or stock.

Add in the onion, diced root vegetables, mushrooms, etc.

Set to simmer until softened.

Add a pinch of black pepper to taste.

Step 3) Serve

Serve over cooked beef, lamb, venison, or meatballs (Swedish style).

Serve over portobello mushrooms or asparagus following the vegan or vegetarian equivalents.

Serve alongside skinned boiled potatoes, mash, or root mash.

Add a dollop of lingonberry, red currant or cranberry sauce/jam.

Also really tasty with a side of buttered asparagus.