Chapter Thirty-Four

Maria's POV:
I watched silently unimpressed as Alina's four dominant mates charged at the barrier around her again and again. It seemed all of them had forgotten what they were supposed to do once Alina was barricaded from them. I had been hoping this wouldn't take long. Despite my safe haven for Alina through this trial, she was also a little and god forbid it didn't take long for them to get into trouble when they didn't have adult supervision, safe haven or not.

At least three of the dominant men were beginning to become agitated and I shook my head, rolling my eyes, it wouldn't take much to impress me and convince me that you were right for my charge but I could tell that I may be here for a while. Suddenly though the largest, darkest wolf charged away from circle that Alina was 'asleep' in and towards the lake on the far side of the clearing. The people of Nemphrodelia watched curiously and I smirked as I realized that he had remembered what was required of him to be able to pass the barrier.

Leaving the three younger wolves behind, I followed Xavier to the lake and watched as he ran around seemingly trying to find something. Xavier eventually appeared to see what he was looking for as near the edge of the forest he dipped down onto his stomach and crawled forward. When he turned around, a cupped leaf hanging from his teeth was noticeable. Standing, he turned back to the lake with a happy smile on his face. I watched as he bent down and retrieved water from the lake in the little 'cup' and raced back to the circle that Alina was currently in. Xavier placed the cup down out of harm's way of his brother's rampages and growled slightly at them in warning. He then stood and made to move away before he glanced back at the cup almost thoughtfully. When Xavier placed protection and cleaning charms in the water, I was nearly prepared to allow him access to his mate. However, Xavier dashed off again.

I went to follow Xavier when there was suddenly a loud whine coming from the other end of the circle, and I turned around with agog. As I suspected, another of Alina's mate had begun to understand what was needed of him as he stared at the water next to the circle thoughtfully. Then Chevron too ran off after his brother, and I sat comfortably waiting for them as I watched with utter amusement the two younger mates of my charge, look lost with confusion and worry.

It wasn't too long before Xavier came charging back into the clearing from the forest. However, I was shocked and impressed at what he was dragging behind him. The bear would have been at least nine feet tall, and Alina's oldest mate didn't even seem winded at the effort that it took him to drag the bear to the circle (which wasn't a lot). Then Xavier sat, giving a loud whine and watched the ring which I was hovering above. I knew he was expecting something to happen: for the noticeable barriers to lift or Alina to wake up, but when I'd watched Xavier pull that bear through the clearing to deliver to his mate, I knew that he would eventually realise the last the thing I expected of him. Sure enough, it didn't take long for him to rise from his sitting position and with one sad previous look at Alina race off into the forest for the final time with determination.

As Xavier ran off, Chevron returned to clearing with his teeth pulling on what seemed to be a tough piece of string. The other end of the string was wrapped around a dozen logs.

--------------

Fire roared to life from the section of wood that Xavier collected. A loud growl echoed around the clearing from the dragon that Xavier was sat upon. Both dragon and human were proud that they provided for the future Queen as the King had presented Alina with water, food and warmth. They walked closer to the barrier.

Smiling, I raised the ban on Xavier and his familiar as he had thoroughly impressed me with his skills and with a quick grimace at Alina seemingly sleeping body, I realised that I also just didn't want to leave Alina alone for another minute.