Chapter Five

Amber's P.O.V

I hurriedly walked off to the carpark and toward my car.

I wasn't sad or anything - that would be stupid because I only just met the guy - I was just just frustrated and annoyed... I thought he was a nice, genuine person but obviously just wanted help with schoolwork.

I climbed into my car, shoved the key in the ignition and was ready to drive out of the carpark, not even caring that it was the middle of recess and I hadn't informed the office that I was leaving.

Before I left, my phone vibrated in my pocket, so I took it out to read the text.

~~

From: Ryan

Amber, I would never only be friends with someone just for help with homework. That's fucking stupid.

I thought we would be great friends. I wanted to be friends.

I invited you over so that we could spend some time together, getting to know each other because we only just met and know nothing about each other

You're still welcome to come over if you want.

~~

I sighed and rolled my eyes.

Yes, I was pissed off. But that text seemed so genuine.. I guess I did overreact.

Maybe Ryan and I could be friends.

* * *

I drove around the block and parked the car outside a park.

I went straight to the childrens playground and sat on the swing.

I looked to the left and saw a twenty-year-old couple making out on the park bench. Her hand on the back of his head, with a fistful of brown, curly hair.

I looked straight ahead to see a happily married couple with a two-year-old child playing, running around happily on the field.

I sighed and looked down.

I could here the giggles from the first couple, and the laughter and chatting of the second.

I sighed and kicked off the ground and began to swing.

"May I join you?" A familiar voice asked.

It came from behind me, but as I turned around to look at him the swing I was sat on swung back and completely knocked him over.

I quickly jumped off the swing and ran the small distance to Ryan who was sprawled across the grass.

"Holy shit, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hit you, I didn't know you were there, I'm so sorry!!" I said quickly.

He burst out in laughter, echoing across the park, and I couldn't help but crack up aswell. We were almost in tears by the time we stopped laughing but then we looked at each other in silence for a few seconds.

"I'm genuinely sorry, are you alright?" I asked.

"I'm fine, Amber. I should be the one to apologise though. Did you get my text?" He replied.

"Yes."

"Did you read it?"

"Yes"

"Well... I'm sorry"

"Ryan you don't have to apologise. I just assumed that was why you would want to talk to me, as you can tell I'm not very good at the whole 'friend' thing."

"I have every reason to apologise. Honestly, Amber, I didn't know how to invite you over since it was pretty much the first time we had talked so I just said that because I didn't know what else to say."

"Ohh. Well you're forgiven and how did you know I was here?"

"I may or may not have followed your car.."

I let out a small giggle.

He smiled, and it reached his eyes. I smiled in return.

"Do you wanna grab some ice-cream?" He asked, looking across the street at an ice-cream shop.

"I'd like that" I smiled, looking him in the eye. 

"Good because I'm starving," he said as we began walking.

We entered the shop and I was mesmerised by the many flavours.

"I think I might stick to my favourite, choc mint," I said to Ryan, "what would you like?"

Ryan looked up to the lady over the counter and said, "two waffle cones with choc mint please."

I reached into the pocket of my school uniform and pulled out a $10 note.

"Woah woah woah, I'm paying." Ryan said, swatting my hand away.

"I can't let you do that." I replied, handing the cashier the money.

Ryan sighed and pulled out a $20 note from the wallet in his pocket.

"Keep it." He said and placed in the pocket of my skirt.

We walked back over to the park, ice creams in hand and sat on the swings.

"Truth or Dare?" He asked me.

"Are you serious? We're not 12." I replied with a smile on my face.

"12 or 17, truth or dare is still fun. Now pick one."

"Fine, truth"

"Are we friends?" he said, looking at me with a genuine smile.

"Well I thought so."

"That's good, because we are."

"Truth or Dare?" I said, smiling.

"D---" As he was replying, his ice-cream suddenly plopped to the ground.

He stood still for a moment, then looked from the cone in his hand to the ice cream on the ground.

"You've got to be kidding me!" He exclaimed.

And in the same moment as he said that, I tripped on the root on a tree and fell to the ground, my ice cream becoming a squashed mess beside me.

"Oh my god are you okay?" Asked Ryan as he sat down next to me on the grass.

"I'm fine .. my ice cream isn't." I replied laughing. "I can't believe I just fell over, wow."

"Well it was pretty funny..." he muttered.

"It really was," I said, laughing.