Chapter One

Amber's P.O.V

My eyes shot open as the sound of my favourite song played at an ear-bursting volume, much to my displeasure.

It was a bad decision choosing my favourite song as my alarm, it made me hate the song as it meant I had to wake up from the only place I'm happy; sleeping.

"Ugh, I'm up, I'm up!" I muttered as I switched off the annoying alarm.

I sat up and looked around my room. Nothing had changed since the short hours ago when I fell asleep. I yawned and slowly stood up, feeling instantly dizzy which made me fall back into a sitting position on my bed. I picked up my thick, black glasses from my bedside table, and put them on to be greeted with a crystal clear view of my disgustingly messy room.

"AMBER! Come down here please!" My Mum called out from downstairs.

"Give me a minute!" I called back.

I could hear her sigh from the storey below.

I got out of bed, walked over to my chest of drawers, took out my school uniform and got changed into the white shirt and tartan skirt. I quickly brushed my bright red, medium length hair and pinned my half-grown out fringe over to the right side to get it out of the way. My hair is not orange, but bright dyed-red, my natural colour is light brown but I much prefer red.

I looked in my full-length mirror and studied the way I looked today- same old Amber.

My blue eyes shined in the morning light coming from the window and my pale skin stood out against my black glasses.

"Urgghh, whatever." I muttered and walked away. I've never been one to care how I look or what I wear. If people are going to judge me, they may aswell judge the natural me- not a plastic, cake-faced girl.

At school, I'm not exactly 'Miss Popular'... not even close. Not even close at all.

Well, to be honest, I'm a nerd. And no, I'm not proud to admit that. At school, I don't have many friends. I don't have..any friends. I sit by myself, which actually isn't too terrible, at least I don't have to deal with fights and drama. I'm in all of the top classes and I wear glasses, which is basically the description of a nerd.

And I hate it.

People see my glasses, see that I sit alone, see that I get straight A's, and they think that I'm an ugly, boring, defenceless nerd.

School is my personal hell-hole. Thank god its my last year in that place.

Because I have no friends at school, I often end up being the culprit of food being thrown at me during lunch, paper being thrown at me during class, and rude remarks being thrown at me all day, every day. 

I focused back on the present, a lovely Monday morning. Sarcasm intended.

I walked downstairs to be greeted by my Mum and little sister, Talia, who is in Year 5.

"Good morning, Amber! Did you sleep well?" Mum asked me with a large smile spread across her face as she placed a plate in front of me containing two slices of toast with vegemite.

"Morning Mum, and yep. Why did you want to talk to me?"

"Talia and I are going shopping this afternoon for things she needs to take to her school Camp. Do you want to come with us?" She looked at Talia as she said that and Talia's face lit up in excitement.

"I sure don't, I'll stay here and do something."

"Ok, but don't let anyone else come over here with you"