Chapter 6 - A fresh start

Because so much has been happening with Natalie constantly in the house, I’m gonna go through just one of our very busy, and most horrible weeks.

The Sunday was the first day of the easter break, so I knew I probably wouldn’t be seeing anyone. Natalie decided to force me and dad to go to church, where we decorated cookies and drew easter eggs. It’s the most frustrating thing being in a wheelchair because if I try to get away I’m easy to catch. This wonderful activity also hurt me a lot due to the fact that I knew it would have been something mum would love. But dad was so distracted by Natalie’s charm, he seemed to forget all about mum.

That evening Natalie said she was going to the library to pick up some books, being easter the Library was open this Sunday, which I was amazingly grateful for. Having been 4 months since my mum passed, I decided to bring up the idea of a funeral with my dad. He hated the idea of remembering her, and celebrating her death. Before I knew it I was ranting to him about how a funeral is the celebration of someones life, and the sadness of it coming to an end. He still didn’t understand, and refused to have a funeral for my mum.

Dad sat and watched bad game shows for the rest of the evening, while I grabbed my mums ashes and took her took my room. I started talking to her like she was here. “hey mum…

I bet you’ve noticed that things have changed around here. I know dad is trying to forget about you, but I’m not. You were a role model to me, and I know last year I hadn’t really shown that to you, and I’m sorry.”

I heard a noise from outside and it must have been Natalie returning, so I told mum I’d speak to her later, and put her on the window sill.

The following day I didn’t see Natalie. At about 11 I decided to go into the town and try to get a job. Every job required me to be sat behind a counter serving people, and as every counter I saw was nearly a foot taller than me in the chair, I decided to apply for simpler jobs. I ended up finding a card shop, who needed someone to design the display, and restock the cards. This was good for me, well kinda, there were some things I couldn’t reach but they hired me anyway, probably out of pity.

I worked that afternoon stacking items and rearranging cards, and went home to find nobody in, I wheeled myself into the living room and started watching TV.

The Tuesday was probably the most bizarre and upsetting. I woke up over hearing a conversation between Natalie and…well nobody, she must have been on the phone.

“yes well I must say I was very surprised by how well his daughter is taking it… I agree it must be like starting fresh. Especially now she’s gonna get a new mum”

I stopped listening after hearing this. Could my dad really have been rushing into this so quickly?

I liked Natalie a lot, but I didn’t want her to be my mum.

I waited for her to hang up before leaving my room, being in a wheelchair certainly had its advantages. I examined her carefully as I slipped past her in the kitchen, and there it was, placed on her scrawny but delicate hand, the bright glistening ring. And this wasn’t just any ring. It was mum’s promise ring.

I looked at her with anger in my eyes, and I felt myself about to cry. I covered this quickly by speaking powerfully to her. “You know you’ll never be my mum.”

She spoke back, flashing the ring at me. “oh yes I will.”

I sensed an evil in her voice, she had a tone that was over powering and villainous.

“I already saw that you’d stolen my mums ring. And I said you’ll never be my mum. I have a mum”

She looks at me and sneered, “you don’t have a mum. You never did, remember? You’re adopted.”

She let out a giggle and my eyes went blurry with tears. That bitch crossed a line. You cannot bring up that I am adopted. I sensed she would say something mean about my mum, but I certainly didn't think she would be cruel enough to say she wasn't my mum at all. I wheeled myself to my room and packed a duffel bag with clothes and valuables. I slammed my bedroom door shut with all my power, put my duffel bag on my lap and left.

I wheeled myself across the street to where Vincent and Mary live, a really old couple that are the wisest folk you’d ever meet. I knocked on their door and explained everything that happened. They told me I could settle into their spare room for a couple days. Once I was at theirs I felt rather relaxed, and could calm down, and think over the situation more.

I hated where things were heading. And prayed to god that Natalie wouldn’t come here looking for me.