Chapter 36-Jennifer's Curse

Comincia dall'inizio

Against the wall, Levi sleeps with his back towards everyone else. His black metal arm just visible from under the blanket. He sleeps like a rock and doesn't seem to move. Ayden is on the other side of the wall across from him, tossing and turning. Can't say I blame him, these past days have been rough. It's just that he keeps mumbling stop which worries me. What is he telling to stop? It's been the same every night.

Then Thalia is in the middle of the two, sleeping peacefully. Shane is near the opening next to the weapons. And that's us. We are the survivors. I checked my phone that is slowly dying to check the time. It's almost six now, meaning I should get up and let Leigh and Teren go to sleep. But I'm so exhausted, it's difficult to get up. Plus, I need a boy with me on watch, one who can shoot a gun. And since Levi and Ayden did it recently, Shane already did it, the next boy who is up is Sammy. And I don't want to be alone with him, he's just going to scold me for my "strange behavior."

I sigh softly closing my eyes again, hoping I can sleep for a moment longer. I begin to think of my plan for today. Today the boys are going to get revenge. They are going to hunt Seth in the jungle, drag him back here, then... well? Then we'll keep him here and drag him back to the mainland to us for a trial for the murders. Though I doubt he'll get the death sentence because of the insanity plea.

Everyone's antsy, we need something to do. Something for a justice we can't give without losing our own innocence and morality. I know for a fact torture was discussed between the boys, keeping me out of it of course. God, I hate being excluded. I can fight too. That's why I'm sneaking along, they'll realize they need me and be grateful. I can impress Levi and prove Sammy wrong at the same time. I don't need protection and I'm strong.

I'm going to say I'm going to the bathroom and follow them through the jungle. If something goes wrong, I'll swoop in and save them! I'll be their knight in shining armor! I can do this! I just need to get my hands on a knife which won't be difficult since Levi wants everyone to have a weapon now. He's being much more cautious but also more ruthless, not hesitating to give Sammy and Ayden a gun.

The ones on the hunt will be Sammy, Levi, and Ayden which isn't a lot. But two of them have guns and one has a nine-inch switchblade. They said traveling in a smaller group will help them move faster. Teren is staying behind as well as Shane. Teren just did a night shift with Leigh, and is in no condition to fight, especially sleep-deprived. Thalia can't go because of her ankle though she did try to offer her help.

But Ayden and Shane said no to her, fast as lightning. Thalia just giggled and said she'd be fine and could whack someone with a stick. Then Shane smiled at her and said she'd end up whacking him with a stick because of her bad aim. Ayden rolled his eyes and said, "I'd whack you with a stick if you were in the way."

Teren jumped in and said we should call ourselves the stick warriors if all we're using are sticks to fight. A bit random but it made Thalia laugh. But then again, this conversation happened at one in the morning when we all finally went to bed, finding Ayden still awake. So Levi just started making whacky stick jokes, pun not intended, and we laughed from pure exhaustion.

I sigh softly, listening to the ever-constant snoring of Sammy. I let myself relax, reviewing my plan in my head. They need me, it'll be fine...