Chapter 6 - Solution

Start from the beginning

"Manager? What is happening?" I asked when I entered.

All heads turned to me. I noticed how worried they also looked. "You have arrived, Jihyun," Mr. Bae says with a bitter smile.

I frowned. "Is there something wrong, Mr. Bae?" I asked.

"The café is running out of customers ever since that rumor spread through social media," He answered gloomily.

I do not have any internet or even a phone so I totally do not know what issue he is talking about. And since I am not close to anyone, I still do not know about the issue.

"What issue manager?" I asked.

He sighed and answered, "The picture where there is a dead cockroach in one of the pastries we baked. A woman captured it on her phone and posted it in social media."

What? A dead cockroach? How?

"The reason why the store was closed yesterday is because the health inspectors went here and they found a lot of cockroaches in our kitchen... I have no idea about how it started."

I bit my lip. This café was known as one of the cleanest café there is. How come this happened?

"And sadly, we have to close the café permanently. I am running out of money to keep the café open since I used it all for my sister and mother's operation and other hospital bills."

My eyes widened and so did my co-workers. All gasped because of the displeasing news.

Close the cafe permanently?!

And the reason why he goes home earlier these days must be because of the problems with his mother and sister.

I... I lost my job...

--------

A few minutes later, one by one each workers left bidding goodbye to our manager. They also bid goodbye to each other because the café is closing for good. Some also cared to vid goodbye to me so I smiled and did the same in return.

I am so sad this is happening to manager-nim. Mr. Bae is one of the kindest managers there is. I can tell that even without experiencing being under different managers. It is what my co-workers also say. And it is what he shows me each and every day I work here.

"I am so sorry to hear that, Mr. Bae," I said.

He just smiled. "That's life, Jihyun. When there are triumphs there must also be disasters," he sighed before turning his full body towards me. "But I am also worried for you. It wouldn't be just easy to look for a new job since you have school."

I chuckled. "Well... I got suspended."

His brows slightly rose. "You did? Why??"

"It is a long story."

He just nodded then his eyes went to my hands. "What happened to your hands, Jihyun? Don't tell me you got involved in a fight?"

I shook my head. "No, Mr. Bae. I tripped on the way home and used these as a shield," I lied, raising my hands up. I took in n a deep breath. I have to ask him now, I am actually feeling a bit shy about it. "...Um... Mr. Bae... Can I ask you a favor?"