Part 7

Victoria relaxed in the lounge chair in Applewood's courtyard and watched Talli decorate mud pies with bits of leaves, rose petals, and colored confetti

Victoria relaxed in the lounge chair in Applewood's courtyard and watched Talli decorate mud pies with bits of leaves, rose petals, and colored confetti. Her raw, artistic imagination needed to be developed. Victoria made a mental note to check out local art teachers.

Thinking of developing raw talent, she certainly stood under the same umbrella herself. If everything went well, she was starting a set of events that would change her life completely. Being a single parent would be the biggest challenge she'd ever undertaken, and one she knew herself ill-prepared for. 

The little girl, whose fingers formed yet another pie, reminded her of why she was embracing a task sure to spill over with complexity and complication. Quite simply, the children completed her world in a way not previously thought possible, and, more importantly, she loved them.

Until now, the driving force in her life had been atoning for the loss of her mother and brother. To accomplish the unattainable goal, she'd shaped herself into her father's right-hand man, hoping to make up for the son he would never have. In the process, she'd lost something elusive and indefinable within herself.

These children did not want her to be something she wasn't. They loved her the way she was. They needed her...she needed them. Before her decision to adopt, motherhood seemed a concept positioned just out of her reach. Children usually came with an unwanted requirement...a husband. Liking men was not the problem. She liked them just fine, as the occasional social partner or business colleague. In any other capacity, she found them selfish, egotistical, and quite frankly, weak. She didn't possess a lot of personal experience, but the lives of those around her certainly supported her conclusions.

Victoria noticed the leggy young girl with long brown hair striding toward her. Her name, Breeze, fit this child of the elements. She was refreshing, warm, and always welcome.

"Hi, Victoria. Thanks for watching Talli for me. I've been helping to bake cookies for an afternoon snack."

"What kind of tookies did you make?" asked Talli.

Breeze smiled and numbered the selection on her fingers. "Chocolate chip, peanut butter, and sugar cookies with pink icing and sprinkles on top."

Victoria adored the gentle way Breeze cared for her little sister. Like now, running her hand softly across the top of Talli's head, smoothing back the mass of springy curls and removing some of the mud and other pie-making essentials from her hair.

"Do you want some real peanut butter cookies?" Breeze asked her sister.

"With milt too?" Talli questioned.

Breeze nodded her head and Talli put down her paper plate filled with muddy pie filling. She brushed the extra dirt off her legs and smiled at Victoria. "You going to have some tookies too, Toria?" she asked.

"I don't have time today, sweetie. I need to return to work. You go along with Breeze before all those yummy cookies disappear. I'll be back for story hour this evening."