Part 13

Two hours later, Rashid sat on the edge of the divan in Jacob's office and pondered the barren formality of his marriage ceremony. His agreement with Jacob was honored. Fulfilling his own desires would come later. For now, it was enough that the woman was his by her own law. When he returned with his bride to Ahalamin, they would marry again to satisfy Bedouin tradition as well.

Control invigorated his spirit. For the first time in weeks uncertainty no longer nagged him. Relaxing, he sank deeper into the leather sofa he and Califar shared. His new father-in-law, seated behind his desk on the far side of the room, looked exhausted and worried. The grayish pallor of his skin and the pain-induced tightness around his lips made the outward signs of his illness more apparent than ever. 

Cancer was an unrelenting enemy and one he was sorry Jacob was facing. As soon as Victoria was informed of her marriage, Jacob could release responsibility to him. As a father, he would be satisfied in having taken care of his daughter's future in the best way possible.

There was another emotion reflected in the long sighs Jacob repeatedly exhaled...apprehension. Now would probably be a good time to reassure his friend of his intention to honor his trust. "Are you having second thoughts, Jacob? You don't look comfortable with your decision," said Rashid.

Jacob turned to stare at him. "You don't miss much, do you? I was hoping my qualms weren't obvious. I'm not looking forward to informing Victoria of the fact I've just married her to a complete stranger."

"I know arranged marriages are not customary here, but in my country, they are quite ordinary, even expected. Be certain your daughter's adjustment to her new situation will be as easy as possible. In my care, she will be safe from any who would harm her. Given time, I am sure she will come to appreciate the wisdom in your decision."

"May I say without insult...you do not know my daughter?" Jacob replied.

"Your daughter is intelligent. She will soon accept the decisions you have made in her best interest. Take a few moments and settle your thoughts before we call Victoria in. If she discerns you are in doubt, she will find trusting your judgment difficult, a situation which can only cause her distress."

"A moment would be good. There is one more thing, though. I would appreciate you not telling Victoria about the circumstance concerning Jadin's threats. I don't want her dealing with fear along with everything else."

Rashid nodded in agreement. "Of course. Now, please, give yourself a minute to relax."

Jacob turned his chair toward the wall of windows behind his desk. With time to think, Rashid's mind returned to the morning's events. Judge Hennington, a friend of Jacob's, officiated over the marriage. There were five people present: Judge Hennington, Jacob, Califar, himself, and a woman named Judith who stood as proxy for Victoria. The arrangements seemed more than bizarre as he had taken his place next to the small, gray-haired woman in the plain, black suit.

Judge Hennington seemed reluctant at first. Having known Victoria since birth, he was at a loss to understand her strange decision not to be present at her own marriage. Reviewing her signature on the appropriate legal documents eventually settled his doubts and he proceeded with Jacob's arrangements.

The next part of the drama would presumably take place as soon as Jacob could regain his composure. Rashid glanced at Califar seated at his side and envied the man his patience. He shifted his gaze from Califar to the strange landscape visible through the large windows of Jacob's office. The diverse tops of many buildings jutted upward on a canvas of blue sky.

He was a man of the land. Here, in the tops of these structures, solidity was far below. The scene seemed to mock him, reminding him that a man of the earth mates with a woman of the clouds at his own peril.