Part 8

Photo Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/53480314300100163/

Victoria crossed the threshold of Madam Soladar's

Victoria crossed the threshold of Madam Soladar's. The reception area, decorated with Moorish and Gypsy charm was over-the-top. The scene tickled her imagination, and she couldn't resist turning in a circle to view every angle. Persian rugs, woven wall panels, brightly colored furnishings, and a large red chandelier filled the space.  Aqua and Gold Ottomans sat about the room while satin, jewel-toned pillows accented every niche with vibrant color.

 "Wouldn't this make a great movie set for The Desert Sheikh and the Slave Girl?" 

Jessica's intriguing tone drew Victoria's attention to her friend who lounged seductively across two ottomans. The flush on Jessica's cheeks and the merriment in her eyes would have looked natural on the face of a five-year-old. 

"It's certainly interesting," replied Victoria. 

"You're a little late," chided Jessica as she rose and walked to Victoria's side. "Madam Soladar and I made some preliminary choices for you to view. You're going to love these costumes. They're each original. You don't have to worry about someone else showing up at the ball looking better than you in your own costume." 

Victoria laughed, enjoying the first spark of enthusiasm for her dreaded task. At the same moment, Madam Soladar entered the room followed by three models dressed in different costumes. All the garments were visually stunning, but none seemed just right for her. They were too theme-oriented.  On the other hand, the cyan caftan worn by the owner was dazzling. Its glistening yards of silk embellished in gold, floral embroidery, and bead-work flowed majestically around its wearer.  

"This is your chance, Victoria," whispered Jessica. "The right costume could put some kick in your dull life. Don't keep me in suspense, which one are you going to choose?" 

Madam Soladar's soft voice saved Victoria from more of Jessica's zealous eagerness. "I chose what I thought would suit your personality and stature. Your friend was kind enough to give me some suggestions. I hope you approve." 

"All of these are very nice," Victoria said as she considered the samples: A 50's collection, a 20's Flapper ensemble, and a 'Golden Age' jewel-encrusted gown. The latter looked as though it had come straight out of Mrs. Vanderbilt's closet. 

Jessica fidgeted next to her. Her friend made decisions like other people made instant oatmeal, in thirty seconds or less, and hated waiting on slower mortals. 

"I think you'd look great in the Flapper outfit." Jessica said with a big wink as she nudged Victoria's arm. "The fringed skirt will play hide-and-seek with your legs and drive all the men crazy." 

Victoria gave Jessica a forced smile. "I appreciate your thoughtfulness in making these selections for me, but I had in mind something a little different. In fact, I really love the beautiful creation Madam Soladar is wearing. The embellishments are a work of art."