Part 15

Rashid relished the feeling of satisfaction Victoria's capitulation gave him. Now, they could make progress. He could soften his manner and exert more patience. She possessed a warrior's fearlessness, but she would need to learn to temper her boldness against his superior strength and will. No doubt, she better understood this now. Smiling, he resolved to show her the utmost courtesy and charm when she returned. 

"My Lord," Califar whispered at Rashid's side. "Perhaps the princess needs assistance?"

Rashid drew his thoughts back to the present. Why would Victoria need assistance? Her office was only a small distance across the reception area. He looked at Califar, his brows furrowed, and dipped his head in a questioning gesture.

"Twenty minutes have passed, my lord. Perhaps there is a problem?" said Califar.

A streak of clarity presented an incredulous possibility that shattered Rashid's complacency. Where was his wife? He spun around and strode toward the door, headed for his wife's office. Surely, she would not dare to disobey him.

Califar quickened his stride to keep up. Jacob followed.

Rashid yanked open the heavy door to Victoria's office. The spacious room held an array of crafted mahogany furnishings, impressive artwork, and a spectacular view of the New York skyline, but not his wife. Another door to the right of Victoria's desk stood open, giving him an unrestricted view of a small hallway and elevator.

Courtesy! Charm! The words exploded in his head. He would strangle her when he found her. She'd made him the fool she'd labeled him earlier and he seethed with the humiliation. This woman thought she could challenge him and win. She would soon know better.

*  *  *

Photo Credit: https://www

Photo Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/34128909661029411/

Victoria's right foot tapped in double time as descending floor numbers lit up on the panel over the elevator door. She could hear her heartbeat pounding in her ears and beads of perspiration dampened her skin. All she needed was just enough time to get to the underground garage and the company limousine. No. She couldn't use the limo; the driver would be the first person her father would question.

The elevator, moving with snail-like velocity, jerked to a sudden stop. So did her breathing. She froze as the doors retracted. No one stood in her way. Resisting the urge to run, she crossed the garage at a brisk walk and headed for the street entrance. A taxi stood at the curb unloading passengers. As soon as they'd cleared the way, Victoria tossed her packages into the rear seat and slid in beside them.