Part 1

FREE AUDIO VERSION - This book is now being posted to my YouTube channel where I'm reading the story myself. If you'd like to listen to the entire story as it's being uploaded, please check out my channel at this link: https://www.youtube.com/@IckyChicDesigns

YouTube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNlvdwjhciZySb-EXIn3zTQTH0gFX6sS6

COPYRIGHT © 2017 by Lynda Coker

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without the written permission of the author.

Preview chapters 1-17

_____________________________________________________

Rashid studied the man across from him, his gaze steady and unyielding as he waited for Jacob Ballard to finish his proposal

Rashid studied the man across from him, his gaze steady and unyielding as he waited for Jacob Ballard to finish his proposal. Then, stiff with annoyance, he rose to his feet and leaned across Jacob's desk. His 6' 2" height spanned its width and his splayed fingers rested heavily on the polished surface.

Making no effort to mask his indignation, he unleashed his words. "I don't buy women." His voice vibrated with ferocity. "Your suggestion is insulting."

Jacob cleared his throat. "Obviously, I expressed myself poorly. Let me clarify." With the spread of his palm, he urged Rashid to again take his seat. "I'm requesting a marriage arrangement between you and my daughter. If this takes place, I'll relinquish the Bashan territory to you. Consider it a bride price. There is no insult intended. I believe such a proposal is not uncommon in your country."

Rashid straightened his stance but remained standing at the edge of the desk. "I agreed to this meeting because I assumed you were ready to negotiate the sale of the Bashan land. Your daughter was not part of our previous discussion nor is it a welcomed addition now."

"I apologize for any misunderstanding," Jacob interjected. "However, I have a vital reason for making this request. Please, sit down and let me explain."

Rashid did not want an explanation; he wanted an exit. But for the sake of their past business relationship, he would give Jacob the courtesy of listening before he dismissed the distasteful situation and took his leave. He stepped back and settled his taut body in the waiting chair. With an upward lift of his right hand, he signaled for Jacob to proceed.

To his further annoyance, Jacob didn't appear eager to start. Instead, he reached for the carafe of water on his desk and tipped the container in Rashid's direction. 

"Would you care for a glass of water or perhaps some coffee?"

"No." Rashid managed to keep the reply civil despite his clenched teeth.

Jacob's hand trembled causing some of the water to spill onto the desk. The unexpected mishap surprised Rashid. He took a closer look at the man who, even now, was having trouble getting the glass of water to his lips without sloshing more liquid over the rim. Something wasn't right. Before he could ascertain what it might be, Jacob began to talk. He paused twice as if lacking sufficient breath for conversation. When he was through, a sharp edge of concern sliced away Rashid's anger.

"I am sorry, Jacob. I was not aware of your illness," said Rashid. "Is there no treatment?"

Misery clouded Jacob's expression. "The lung cancer has progressed too far. At the most, I have a few months left."

Rashid's thoughts reeled from the complexity of what should have been a simple business negotiation. He slid his sweat-dampened palms down the arms of his chair and gripped the smooth edge. "I am sorry to hear this. Of course, I will be at your disposal to offer any assistance you require. How may I begin?"

"You may grant my request for a marriage alliance," Jacob stated without hesitation.

Rashid shook his head in confusion. "I do not understand how marriage with your daughter will help you deal with this illness."

"Not with my illness, but with another pressing problem. I need to settle the ownership issue of two properties situated in Middle Eastern nations, as well as the Bashan area in your own country."

"What is the difficulty," asked Rashid.

"Like the Bashan property, I planned one day to develop the land and use the profit to benefit the people of the area. My attempt at philanthropy, I suppose. The way the world's situation has changed in the last two decades, well..."

Rashid interrupted. "Can they not be administered through your estate?" He paused briefly before adding, "later if necessary?"

Jacob shook his head. "They're no longer part of my estate. Without her knowledge, I put them in Victoria's name eleven years ago. I thought when the political atmosphere became more favorable she could finish what I started. At the present, they are part of a portfolio that stands as collateral for other investments. I cannot liquidate them for at least a year."

Rashid frowned. "Are you saying your daughter owns the Bashan property?"

"Yes." Jacob nodded as he watched Rashid's reaction.

"Women are not permitted to own land in Ahalamin." Rashid tightened his jaw.

"This is my point," stated Jacob. "In the last three months, I have received two communications from a radical group known as Jadin. They want the territories back in Arab control. Think how they will react when the knowledge of the land's true ownership becomes public. You and I know what Jadin will do with such resources. The world doesn't need another terrorist group with access to wealth."

Rashid moved to the edge of his chair. "You must do something. These are not rational men. Your daughter could be in imminent danger. How do you propose to protect her?"

"I don't. As her husband, protecting her is what I expect you to do. In a few short weeks, I will be of no use to my daughter. I need to provide for her now, while I still can."

Rashid turned his head to the side in an attempt to ease the muscle constricting in his neck. Failing, he turned back and studied Jacob's solemn, grey eyes. Unyielding resolve enforced the level of Jacob's determination. Almost tangible, it reminded Rashid of the strong desert wind which pushed against the sand dunes until they yielded and moved under its onslaught. He wondered if the daughter's tenacity matched her father's.

NOTICE

FREE AUDIO VERSION - This book is now being posted to my YouTube channel where I'm reading the story myself. If you'd like to listen to the entire story as it's being uploaded, please check out my channel at this link: https://www.youtube.com/@IckyChicDesigns

YouTube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNlvdwjhciZySb-EXIn3zTQTH0gFX6sS6