Part 11

Please consider supporting my writing with a small donation: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/lyndacoker

Rashid waited for Califar in the stable yard of the Sand Palace. What started as a troublesome day was deteriorating into an interminably lengthy one as well. Observing the exercising activity was pacifying for a while, but if Califar did not appear soon he would leave him behind. 

He glanced toward where two of his mares were being groomed. Their tails, having already been trimmed, were now braided with black leather strips ornamented with gold studs. Recently sold to a trusted buyer from England, they were being prepared for delivery. He lifted his propped foot from the hitching stone and walked a few feet to stand in the shade of a palm grouping. The dry powdery sand stirred and covered his boots. 

Sweat trickled down the back of his neck. The intense afternoon sun could bake a man if he tarried too long in its company. It was almost as dangerous as the fiery anticipation melting holes in his patience these past three weeks. In his opinion, there were only two ways to relieve a man of the strain knotting his muscles and driving his passions. No man of honor would indulge in the first on the day before his wedding. The second was long hours on the back of a horse. 

He wondered what was keeping Califar. They were supposed to have had lunch together and then leave for the Oasis of the Moon. A plan delayed due to the unexpected arrival of representatives from Ramin. 

Like many other Middle Eastern countries, Ramin was dealing with a pending water crisis. Ahalamin was unique among its neighbors, being blessed with four large lakes in its higher elevations and deep water tables. He would have to find a way to help his brother-nation without damaging his own resources. Water was ultimately going to be a major catalyst for change in his part of the world. The precious commodity could turn out to be more valuable than oil. Not that he intended to sell it. No, the question was how to protect Ahalamin's resources for his people. 

As men had used gold, sugar, slaves, and oil over the ages, there would always be those who sought and those who would supply at any cost. Kicking the dust at his feet, he tightened his fingers around the coiled whip in his hand. He despised waiting; Califar would have to catch up later. 

He signaled to one of the stablemen and gave him orders to have his stallion brought out

He signaled to one of the stablemen and gave him orders to have his stallion brought out. Five minutes later the stableman attempted to bring the horse into the mounting area. Ali, high spirited and in need of exercise, sidestepped and then reared, pawing at the air with his hooves. The young handler yanked hard on Ali's lead. The stallion jerked his head high and unbalanced the man, who landed in a heap on the ground.

Rashid could not believe what his eyes witnessed next. The brainless man kicked Rashid's horse and used the loose end of the lead as a whip across Ali's head. Rashid sneered. A low, feral growl crawled from his gut to escape across his hard lips. The man was a fool. Loosening his grip on the whip, he let it uncoil and drop to the sand. He gave no warning as black leather streaked toward the offender. The whip coiled around the man's wrist and Rashid yanked, sending the man sprawling face down in the dirt for the second time.