Chapter 18

Luke’s POV

Evan turned his face towards me slowly, his grip on Zoey not loosening. I clenched my fists, the skin over my knuckles turning white. Rage surged through me, how dare he try and hurt Zoey again. Who the hell does this gut think he is? Once Evan locked eyes on me, a huge grin spread across his face. I lost it. I surged forwards and punched Evan straight in the jaw. Zoey gasped as Evan let go of her, his hands going to his face.

Zoey slid to the floor and scrambled away from Evan, crouching near the bottom of some of the other lockers.

“You little shit,” Evan hissed, walking over to me.

I threw another punch but Evan quickly grabbed my fist. He twisted my arm tightly, kicking me in the shin. I groaned in pain, and kicked my legs, managing to make contact with Evans legs. Evan was kicked off balance and collapsed on the floor. I jumped on top of him, punching him in the face. Evan then threw his hands around my neck, flinging my body to the side. He then jumped on top of me, his hands still around my neck. He tightened his grip, and I started to struggle to breath.

“Evan please,” I heard Zoey sob.

Evan didn’t even pay attention to her words; he just tightened his grip on me. I shut my eyes, flinging my legs in an attempt to get him off.

I suddenly heard footsteps thunder down the hall, and more pressure being pressed down on me. I opened my eyes and saw Holden trying to pull Evan off of me.

“Dude what the hell,” Holden yelled as he pulled back on Evans shoulders, ripping his heavy body from mine.

I panted as Holden stretched out his hand, pulling me back to my feet. Zoey shot up from her space near the lockers, her arms wrapping around my body.

“I’ll take care of Evan, you two just get out of here,” Holden said, patting me on the shoulder.

Zoey clutched my hand as we ran out of the school, her grabbing my car keys.

“Zoey, you cant drive remember,” I whispered as she tried to unlock my car door.

“B-but you’re in no condition to drive,” she sniffed, tears still streaming from her face.

“I think I can manage,” I said, grabbing the keys from her and unlocking the door. I opened the door to the car, and I started to enter when Zoey threw her arms around me and kissed me straight on the lips. She then pulled back and looked at me, placing one hand on the side of my face.

“What was that for?” I asked, bumping my nose on hers.

“I thought he was going to kill you or something,” she sobbed.

“Well he didn’t, so lets go,” I said, kissing her quickly on the nose before stepping into the car.

☆☆☆

Zoey’s POV

I sat on my bathroom floor, patting dry where Luke’s lip had been split.

“This seems pretty familiar,” Luke laughed, looking down at me.

“God Hemmings why did you even do that,” I said, shaking my head as I continued to pat his lip.

“Because I didn’t like seeing him hurt you, you don’t need to put up with that shit you know,” Luke said, grabbing my hand.

“I know, I know,” I sighed, throwing the bloody napkin into the trash.

Luke pulled me up from the ground and wrapped his arms around my waist, resting his chin on my head.

“Do you want to get some homework done,” Luke mumbled.

“Sure,” I replied, releasing my grip from him and walking to my bedroom.

We lay down on my bed as I pulled some books out of my bag and placed them on the soft mattress.

We tried to work for about half an hour, but couldn’t focus.

“Luke, I don’t want to you get in another fight about me. Ever,” I said, leaning my head on my hand.

“But I’ve got to protect my woman,” he said, fake pouting.

“Don’t even try to call me woman,” I laughed, slapping him lightly on his arm.

“Fine,” he said, leaning forward and kissing my nose.

“Speaking of calling me things, you called me your girlfriend today,” I said, smiling slightly.

“It kind of slipped out,” he replied, blushing.

“So am I or am I not your girlfriend,” I said.

“Do yo- do you want to be my girlfriend,” Luke stuttered, looking up at me.

“Why not,” I said, shrugging my shoulders and leaning in to kiss him.

a.n///

guys, guys, guys. first has gotten to 1,000 reads. i just want to say thank you to everyone who has even looked at my book, it makes me so happy and just wow. thanks so much ily!