Chapter 10

Did Luke just almost kiss me? Did I almost let him? I placed my hands on my cheeks, feeling the heat that had risen there.

“What the hell Zoey,” I muttered under my breath, furrowing my brows.

God knows I had kissed guys before, but I feel like kissing Luke would have been different. I’m not even sure if I have feelings for him, yet I know I would have felt something if I had kissed him. It was honestly a good thing that his dad had interrupted us, because who knows what would have happened after. Would he have wanted to date me? Knowing Luke, probably. I was never big on dating guys, they caused too much drama. I always believed that I needed to figure my self out before I got in a relationship. Ugh I was over thinking things, nothing actually happened, and that’s that.

I stepped off of the bus and walked over to my house. I pulled open the large wooden door, and stepped inside, taking off my shoes and setting my school bag down. I heard voices coming from the kitchen, so I walked over to investigate. My mother, was sitting at the dinner table with perfectly done make up, and sipping on dark green kale juice and picking at her salad with her fork. Across from her was my brother, who was also eating his dinner. I looked next to him and noticed a plate full of food.

“Is someone else here for dinner?” I asked, looking to my brother.

“Yeah I am,” a voice said from near the fridge.

I felt an icy chill go through my body, and I stood perfectly still. I knew that deep voice anywhere. Evan.

I turned slowly and watched as an evil grin spread across his face as he shut the fridge. Evan slowly walked past me to his seat, winking at me as he walked.

“I’m going to my room,” I mumbled, turning to leave the room.

“Now Zoey,” my mother snapped in her prissy voice. “We have a guest, don’t be rude. Sit down and eat dinner like a normal person,” my mom said, gesturing to the empty seat next to Evan.

I sighed as I sat down, crossing my legs tightly as I dished up some salad for myself. A few minutes after I had started eating, I felt Evan’s hand begin to travel up my thigh. I slapped his hand away, moving my chair farther away from him. I few minutes later his hand was back, making its way up my leg.

I dropped my fork on my plate and stood up quickly, grabbing my plate.

“I’m done,” I announced, rushing over to the sink and dropping my plate there.

Before my mother could respond, I ran out of the room and up the stairs. Once I reached my bedroom, I slammed shut the door and locked it. I lay on my bed, tears beginning to form in my eyes. In that moment, the one thing I wanted more than anything, was Luke to be with me.

Luke’s P.O.V

I just fucked everything up didn’t I? I don’t know what came over me, she just looked so perfect. I didn’t have much experience with girls; debate didn’t really get them all hot and bothered. I thought maybe I had a tiny chance with Zoey, but based on her reaction when my dad interrupted us I’m guessing she didn’t want anything to do with me.  

Zoey and I had become a lot better friends, and I didn’t want to ruin it. She just understood me, and she didn’t mind the fact that I was some loser on the debate team with only one friend. I just need to act like nothing happened when I see her on Monday, and hopefully we could forget this whole awkward experience.

☆☆☆

  I walked into physics later then usual, there was a lot of traffic this morning. Zoey was already sitting in her seat, looking amazing as usual. Her fiery hair fell around her face in soft waves, and her makeup less face was buried in a book. That’s what I appreciated about Zoey, she wasn’t flawless and she didn’t try to make her self look flawless. Her eyes we a little too large, and she had freckles all over her face, yet she didn’t try and change. I wouldn’t want her to anyways, all of her slight ‘flaws’ reminded me that she was human and not this magical goddess that I sometimes thought she was. She had this quality about her that I found so fascinating, and I couldn’t quite pinpoint it. Maybe it was her obsession with movies and novels, or the fact that she could make anyone feel like they where her best friend. What ever it was, she intrigued me more than anything else had before.

I walked over to my seat, setting my bag down as I sat in my chair. Zoey didn’t even glance at me; she was too engrossed in her book. I ducked my head to try and glimpse the cover of her book. She was reading “The Spectacular Now” and was obviously at an emotional part, since glimmering tears had formed in her green eyes.

“You okay Zoey?” I asked chuckling.

It wasn’t unusual for her to occasionally over-react. I remember one time during Sophomore year, she was in my health class and we watched this video about drunk driving, and she started crying and had to leave the classroom because one of the actors in the video pretended to die. The acting wasn't even that great, she was just really upset about it.

Zoey looked up at me shyly, wiping the tear from her eye and laughed softly.

“Sorry, its just a sad part,” she said as she folded the corner of the page of her book and putting it back on her backpack.

“You cry at everything don’t you,” I said as I pulled out my notebooks.

“Pretty much, a lot of things make me cry. What makes Luke dry-eyes Hemmings weep like a five-year-old girl? I bet you ten bucks it’s “The Notebook,” Zoey said, laughing at her wit.

“Nothing, “ I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

“Nothing. Nothing at all. Do you even have a soul Hemmings?” Zoey said, leaning in closer to me.

“I’m just not much of a crier,” I said shifting in my chair uncomfortably.

Its true, I never really cry. Even when my mom died, my eyes never even moistened. I felt sadness, I’m not a robot, I just never cried about anything, I believed crying is a waste of time and energy, a useless thing humans just seem to do.

Zoey raised her eyebrows at me, and leaned in closer from across the table.

“You know Hemmings,” she said softly, “Sometimes I wonder if you’re even real.”

She looked deeply in my eyes as she said those words, and I had to wonder if there was another meaning behind them.

a.n//

first, i would like to say for getting first to almost 200 reads. i know for most stories its nothing, but to me it means so much, ily.

second *prepare for shameless plug* i entered a fan-fiction award so it would mean a lot if you all voted for me. just comment 2 here http://www.wattpad.com/46108628-fan-fiction-awards-4-best-5-seconds-of-summer-3 

third, ik this chapter was a little lame, but some BIG stuff is coming up so prepare