Chapter 4

“So what should we do for our project?” Luke asked, sitting down on my bed.

We both figured we needed to start the physics project sooner rather then later, so that we wouldn’t run out of time. It had been a few days since the project was announced, and Luke and I weren’t really getting along any better. It was Luke’s idea to do it at my house, which I only accepted since my mom had to take Holden to football tryouts. I didn’t really think my mom and Luke would get along that well. All he seemed to wear was plaid, and my mom always says plaid needed to die in the 90’s.

“I’m not sure” I replied, taking a sip of my diet coke.

This whole situation was really awkward for me, this was the first time any guy besides my brother had been in my room. I felt insecure about the fairy lights and movie posters. I didn’t know why, but I didn’t want Luke to think I was lame or something.

 “Ok well lets go through the text book and see if we get any ideas from the different chapters,” Luke said, grabbing my textbook and beginning to flip through the pages.

 “Is it alright if I go change?” I asked.

I was still in my tight jeans and uncomfortable blouse from school, and I was desperate to get into something comfortable.

 “Yeah sure” Luke said, not even looking up from the textbook.

 I stood up from the bed and walked to my closet, closing the door behind he. I changed into a pair of sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt, and pulled my hair into a bun. I walked out of the closet, and sat back down on the bed. Luke then looked up, and I followed his eyes as they looked me over.

“I like your shirt” he mumbled, color spreading to his cheeks.

 I looked down at my black Joy Division t-shirt.

“Thanks” I said, awkwardly reaching for the textbook.

 My hand brushed against Luke’s, and heat rushed to my fingertips. It was at if I had stuck my finger into an electrical socket. Almost as suddenly as I had felt it, the feeling was ripped from me as Luke removed his hand and ran it through his hair. I blushed, staring at the textbook in front of me in an attempt to avoid eye contact with him.

After fifteen minutes of us attempting to come up with an interesting project idea, I shut the book and sighed.

 “Since this is obviously going no where and we lack some inspiration, do you want to watch a movie or something?” I looked to Luke expectantly.

“I’m not sure if that’s the best idea…” Luke said, tugging at the sleeves of his plaid button up.

“Why not?” I asked, getting annoyed that he was being so difficult.

“Because” he said, locking his blue eyes with my green ones, “We can barley stand an hour of class together, imagine how awful we will be when spending two straight hours alone with each other.”

 I laughed softly, rolling my eyes at his lame excuse.

 “If we’re going to be partners, we need to learn how to put up with each other,” I said, pulling my laptop towards me.

 “Fine” Luke responded with a sigh “What should we watch then.”

 I shrugged my shoulders.

 “You pick, since you’re my guest and all” I said.

 Luke looked around my room, studying each of my movie posters.

“That one” Luke said, pointing to my Pulp Fiction poster.

“Wait” I said raising my eyebrows “You’ve never seen Pulp Fiction?”

 Luke looked at me and shrugged his shoulders.

 “I’m not much of a movie guy” he replied.

“Well,” I said, “We’re going to have to change that, aren’t we?”

☆☆☆

Lukes Point of View

Heat surged from my shoulder where her head lay. We were half way through the movie when her head landed on my shoulder, eyes shut in a peaceful sleep. I was a little freaked out at first when her head first made contact with my skin. There was an electric current when she touched me, similar to earlier when her hands brushed mine. I had considered shrugging her off, but she looked so beautiful in her sleep I didn’t have the heart to do it. She was perfectly imperfect, in an annoying way of course. When I first saw her in freshman year, I was blown away. Of course she never bothered to talk to me for three years, which is understandable. She’s so naturally beautiful and I’m so naturally awkward, which don’t seem to mix well. I was on the debate team for Christ sake. She was never interested in me before and she never will be now.

I was snapped out of my thoughts, when I felt Zoey begin to stir. She slowly opened her eyes, blinking them a few times. Her eyes then turned to me, her green eyes locking with my blue ones. Her eyes widened, and she lifted her heard, awkwardly clearing her throat.

“How much did I miss?” she asked, gesturing to the credits rolling across her computer screen.

“Um you fell asleep right before Uma Thurman had a drug overdose,” I replied.

“Oh,” she said quietly, glancing at her watch.

“My mom and brother will be home in like ten minutes, so you should probably go,” she said standing up from the bed.

“Oh yeah ok” I mumbled, walking out of her room and down the stairs.

She followed me quietly, pulling open the door.

“See you on Monday Lucas,” she said, a cheeky grin spreading across her face.

“See you on Monday Zoey” I replied, stepping outside.

With a soft smile, she shut the door. I let out a breath, leaning against the wood panel. What the hell had I gotten myself into.