Chapter 7

Luke’s P.O.V

I pulled up outside of Evan’s mansion, looking at the house visiblably thumping with the loud music playing inside it. I parked the car and jumped out, searching for Zoey. I was really worried about her, considering the fact that she hung up as soon as she asked me to come. I suddenly saw a flash of red, turning to face the girl standing on the sidewalk. Zoey’s appearance was striking, in more ways than one. First of all, I was caught a little off guard by her dress, which hugged her body in all the right places. It made her look beautiful, but that was nothing new. Her face was also something striking as well, considering the fact that it was a mess. There were black rings around her eyes where her makeup had ran. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying, and crimson blood was dripping from her lip.

“Zoey, come on,” I called to her, gesturing to my dads car.

Zoey sprinted over to the car, opening the passenger door and sitting inside. I reentered the car, shutting and locking the door.

“Zoey what the hell happened to you?” I asked, reaching my hand out to touch hers.

“I don’t really want to talk about it right now, can we just go?” she asked, a pleading look in her eyes.

I nodded, starting up the car.

☆☆☆

We had been driving for fifteen minutes so in almost complete silence, the only noise being Zoey’s occasional quiet sobs. With my eyes fixed on the road, I cleared my throat.

“Zoey, I just wanted to say how sorry I am about everything that went down on Monday. I just got all up in my head and I didn’t know what so say and I panicked and-“

“Luke,” Zoey said, reaching out and touching my knuckles, which were turning white from clutching the steering wheel so tightly.

“It’s fine. I overreacted, lets just forget it ever happened,” she said.

I looked over quickly and saw the small smile dance across her lips. I smiled back, and returned my focus to the road.

Zoey’s P.O.V

 Luke walked up with me to the front door of my house, and awkwardly hovered while I pulled out the spare key from under the mat. I placed the cool metal into the lock and twisted, pushing open the large wooden door. I turned to Luke, my eyes misting over as the events of this night washed over me.

“Zoey…” Luke said, lifting his had and scratching his neck. “Your cut on your lip looks really bad and could get infected. I’ve got basic first aid training and I could clean it up… Only if that’s alright-“

“That’d be great Luke thanks,” I said, smiling weakly.

Luke smiled and looked down at his shoes as he walked in my house. I pulled off my heels and rubbed my aching feet.

“I’m going to go upstairs and change. There’s a small first aid kit in the bathroom,” I said to Luke, running up the stairs to my room.

I walked into my closet, closing the door behind me. I heard Luke enter my room and open the door to the bathroom. As Luke rummaged for the first-aid kit, I unzipped my dress. I stepped out of the clingy black fabric, grabbing for a pair of sweat pants and t-shirt. As I pulled the shirt over my head I looked at my arms. The pale white flesh was marked with deep purple bruises, five on each arm showing where Evan grabbed me. I let out a sob, sinking to the floor of my closet. I just felt so violated from someone who I considered a friend, it was too much for me to deal with. I was interrupted from my thoughts as Luke opened the door to the closet, rushing in and crouching near me. He wrapped his arms around me, and I buried my face into his shirt. He smelled of freshly mowed grass and rain. When Luke finally let go, he grabbed my arm, slowly pulling me up to my feet. With his arm around me, I padded over to the bathroom, sitting down on the toilette. Luke dipped a cotton ball into a bottle of rubbing alcohol and sat in front of me.

“This is going to sting a bit,” Luke said; bring the ball closer to my lip.

I winced as he dapped the alcohol onto my cut, and I watched his eyes as he wiped away the blood.

“Much better,” Luke smiled, throwing the now bloody cotton into the trash.

“He-,” I stuttered, my eyes filling with fresh tears. “He attacked me Luke,” I said, looking to the ground at a tear that hit the cool tile.

“Who did?” Luke said, crouching in front of my and placing his hands on the side of my face.

“E-Evan,” I sniffed, looking into Luke’s blue eyes.

“That bastard,” Luke whispered, wiping the tears from under my eyes.

Luke grabbed a tissue and slowly removed the makeup that had ran to under my eye.

“You should get some sleep,” Luke said, grabbing my hand and pulling up.

As he walked me to my bed I couldn’t help but notice the fire that had started in my hand as he touched it.

I got into bed, pulling the cool cotton up near my face and closed my eyes. I heard my door open and I opened my eyes to see Luke stepping out of my room.

“Luke,” I called out, locking eyes with him. “Would you stay, please,” I asked, my voice pleading.

“Of course, “ Luke said hesitantly as we walked over to my bed.

Luke tentatively pulled back the covers, easing himself into my large bed. I turned my back to him as the bed dipped with his weight. I felt Luke’s long arms wrap around my waist as I closed my eyes.

“Goodnight Zoey,” Luke said, his voice heavy with sleep.

“Goodnight Luke,” I responded before drifting off to sleep.