Chapter 16

It was Monday morning, and my brother and I were rushing around down stairs trying to find some thing to eat. We finally both settled on some weird whole-grain cereal our mom is obsessed with. We scarfed down our cereal, trying to eat as quickly as we could so we would be able to catch the bus. I had a physics quiz first period and I needed to get to school early to study. Holden on the other hand just likes to follow me where ever I go, mainly because he’s too scared to take the bus by him self.

We raced around the kitchen, tossing our dirty bolls in the sink, and each starting to chew a piece of gum. We didn’t have time to actually brush our teeth, which is a little disgusting but we were desperate for time.  I shoved on my shoes and hobbled around the house, grabbing my backpack.

“Come on Holden,” I called out, pulling my hair back into a ponytail.

“Coming,” he called, his voice still a little husky with sleep.

He met me in the hall and we walked to the door, and as soon as I placed my hand on the doorknob I heard a loud horn blare.

“What the hell?” I mumbled, pulling open the door.

I stepped outside and saw Luke’s car pulled up in the driveway, his arm hanging out of the window.

I smiled as I walked to his car, leaning into his window.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, smirking.

“You mentioned last night that you were heading to school early to study. I just thought I could help you out,” he said, shrugging his shoulders.

“You’re sweet,” I said, leaning in through the window kissing him quickly on the lips.

Just when I did that I heard Holden clear his throat behind me. My face flushed as I turned to face my brother, who just stood awkwardly with his arms crossed and his eyebrows raised.

“You can take Holden as well right?” I said to Luke, still looking at my brother.

“Yeah of course. You guys should get in, its really cold out,” Luke said, unlocking the doors in his car.

I slid into the shotgun seat as Holden awkwardly crawled into the back. Luke put the key in the ignition and pulled out of the driveway. He turned on the radio, where ‘Teenage Dirtbag’ by Wheetus was playing.

“Yes!” we both yelled at the same time, Luke twisting the dial on the radio to turn it up.

We started singing along, screaming the lyrics we both knew by heart. When the song ended, we both burst out laughing. Our singing was truly awful.

“I feel like such a third wheel,” Holden mumbled behind me.

I turned back to Holden, still giggling from our little mini concert.

“Too bad,” I said to my brother, sticking my tongue out.

☆☆☆

Luke’s POV

She sat across from me in the library, her brows furrowed as she was writing down the answers to the questions in the textbook. Every so often she would disconnect from her studying and beg me to help her. I of coarse said yes every time she needed help, it’s just impossible to say no to her.

She bit into her lip as she flipped through the pages, a strand of her fiery hair falling into her face. I reached forwards and tucked it behind here ear, letting my hand linger. She looked up at me and smiled. Her eyes then moved over my shoulder, where her smile suddenly dropped. I turned my head to see Evan sauntering over to us, a smirk spreading across his face. I dropped my hand from Zoey’s face as she looked back down at her books.

“Well, well, well, what are the lovebirds doing here?” Evan asked, leaning onto our table.

Zoey kept her eyes down as I turned my head to face Evan. The prick had this smug grin across his face, and I was holding back the urge to slap him.

“Fuck off Evan,” I said coldly, turning back to the work in front of me.

“Whoa now no need to get so hostile,” Evan scoffed, raising his hands.

“You two have fun,” he said, patting Zoey on her shoulder.

She flinched when his hand made contact with her skin, and as she walked away, she shuttered.

“God I don’t understand why he won’t just leave me alone,” she said softly, shaking her head.

“Because Zoey you rejected him, and no one rejects Mr. Quarterback-Hunkster. You’re just the one that got away and he’s bitter about it,” I said, reaching forward to grab her hand.

“Well he should just get over it,” she mumbled, looking back down at her book.

☆☆☆

 I was leaning against Zoey’s locker, waiting for her to finish her English class. She hasn’t been in a very good mood since the incident with Evan in the library, so I cam up with a master plan to make her feel better.

Zoey stepped out of her class and made her way over to her locked, a huge smile lighting up her sullen face when she saw me.

“Hey, what exactly are you doing here” she said, unlocking her locker.

“Well I know you’re in kind of a shit mood so I just thought we could go out for a bit,” I replied.

“Alright where,” she asked, slamming her locker shut and swinging her backpack across her shoulders.

“It’s a surprise,” I said grabbing her hand.

“God what’s with you and surprises,“ she mumbled as we made our way out of the school to my car.

A few minutes later we pulled up to the McDonalds drive through, and I unrolled my window as we approached the building.

“Really Hemmings your romantic surprise was McDonalds?” Zoey laughed.

“There’s nothing sexier then a Big Mac,” I replied, smirking at her.

With our food in our laps I parked in the McDonalds drive way, turning on the car radio. Zoey reached into her bag and started devouring her burger, bobbing her head to the music. As I started eating my French fries, a smear of bright red ketchup appeared on the corner of Zoey’s mouth. She didn’t even notice as she continued to eat. I laughed at her, and she looked over to me, cocking her head.

“What’s so funny,” she asked, raising her eyebrows.

“You’ve got some ketchup on your face,” I laughed.

“Where?” she asked, swiping near her mouth but still not getting the ketchup.

“Here,” I smiled, leaning in and placing my lips where the smudge was.

“Ew Luke you’re honestly really weird,” she laughed swatting me away.

“Oh shut up,” I whispered, my face still near hers.

She quickly leaned in and pecked me, and as she pulled back a huge grin spread across her face.

“Let’s go,” she giggled, turning away from me.

“As you wish,” I replied, turning on the car so I could drive her home.