Chapter 29

"Gally," I called in attempted to direct his attention towards me and away from Thomas. I couldn't let Gally know that I knew Thomas.

"Raven, not now," he growled. The anger in his voice made Thomas take a step back.

"You know it wasn't the Greenie. He was just following Chuck." I placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. Gally's eyes darted from Thomas to me to out in the open Glade where I was sure Chuck was.

"I already told him that." Gally rolled his eyes and let out a huge breath. "Just both of you stay away from me." He glared straight at Thomas when he said this. I knew he wasn't talking about me, but the hatred in his voice was terrifying.

"Go find Chuck," I told Thomas before turning to Gally and grabbing him by his shirt sleeve and began towing him away. He hadn't been the same since he got stung. I absolutely hated it. I missed the old Gally. "Come on, man, you've got to lighten up." I looked back toward where we had left Thomas; he was already gone, disappeared to who knows where. I let go of Gally's shirt and patted him on the back.

"I've seen him before, Raven. In the changing, I saw him. He is no good." Gally had stopped walking and crossed his arms tightly in front of him.

"Does he remember anything?"

"No, but I saw him."

"One time, Newt told me that the people we were before the maze don't matter anymore. It's who we are now that matter. Give the boy a break, alright." Thomas was good. He had helped me all through growing up and he helped me with the Grievers. He wasn't a bad person, maybe led astray occasionally but not bad.

"I know what I saw." Gally wouldn't budge. His stubborn personality was getting to me. A sudden burst of anger filled me.

"And I know what I saw too, Gally. I was stung before too. I got memories back. Don't talk like you know exactly what people went through before the maze. You don't." I was close to yelling at him. Gally seemed speechless. He stood staring at me with wide eyes. Yeah, I don't get angry easily. He shook his head and turned towards the homestead. I was among the few people that could talk to Gally like that and not get punched for it.

I headed towards where I could see Chuck and Thomas. Thomas seemed rather pissed at Chuck. His arms crossed over his chest. His eyes narrowed into small slits. I couldn't blame him. Chuck needed to learn when to keep his mouth shut.

"Hey, Chuck, can you go get Thomas' sleep stuff? I'll take care of him for the time being." Chuck didn't argue. He jogged off towards the homestead. I looked at Thomas who seemed almost scared of me.

"How do you know my name?" He whispered.

Shit. I had completely forgotten that he didn't remember anything. Should I tell him? Would that freak him out too much? It is his first day after all; however, he might want to know. "We knew each other before the Glade."

"How do you know?" He seemed almost irritated like it was all lies.

Because we can do this, I said in my head. Thomas' eyes looked like they were going to go flying out of his eyes. He took a couple steps back.

"Were you just in my head or am I going completely nuts?"

This is real. We have a sort of bond that allows us to communicate in our minds. I spoke softly in his mind. I didn't want to give him a headache. Thomas shook his head roughly as if to shake me out of it.

"Get out of my head!" Thomas said, "get out!" He took a run for it. He took to the deadheads. I didn't follow him; he needed some time to himself.

I'll be here when you want to talk, with that, I left his head.

~

One foot in front of the other, that's how I keep pace. Every step is closer to laying down. The sun beat down on the stone maze. I kicked up dust as I ran.

I was getting close to the glade when I heard it. I heard the clicking of the griever a couple corridors away. I heard Minho's yell just as far away. I sped down the closest corridor towards the sound. I turned the next corner and almost collided with Minho. "Raven, run let's go!" He yelled grabbing ahold of my arm. The griever wasn't very far behind.

"Minho, you go on ahead of me," I yelled. I needed to be alone with the griever. I tried to shake his tight grip.

"Are you crazy? I'm not letting you out of my sight," by now the griever was spinning full speed towards us. It left me no choice. I planted my feet firmly and the gears began turning in my head. I commanded the griever to stop. It spun out of its ball and stopped a couple metres away.

"Leave," I said in a steady voice. It spun on a dime and began galloping down the corridor. I didn't want to turn around. I could feel Minho's eyes burning a hole in my back. My eyes hit momentarily as I built up the courage.

"I still can't get over that," he said from behind me, "do you know how helpful it would have been if all of us could do that? I think you should tell Alby."

I didn't look at Minho as I spun around and ran past him. I ran as fast as I could to the glade. I skipped the map room and ran straight to Newt. He was talking to another track hoe. "Hi, sorry, I'm going to steal Newt for a moment," I said to the boy and grabbed ahold of Newt. I pulled him quickly out of earshot.

"Princess, what is it?" His face had worry written all over it.

"Minho wants me to tell Alby. He saw me do it again today and he wants me to tell Alby. I can't now, especially with Thomas here." I shook my head.

"I think that is the worst of our worries right now," Newt said. His eyebrows were furrowed together. Worry lines all over his face.

"What do you mean?" My voice micmicking the worry on his face.

"We got another Greenie today," he muttered. He looked towards the Homestead like he was expecting to see something.

"Another one? But we got Thomas yesterday. I don't understand. Did WICKED mess up?" I hopped from one foot to the other, searching the Glade for the new Greenie. "So what? Thomas only has to be the Greenie for one day. I can't see how that's fair."

"I don't shucking know, but it's another girl and she said some jacked things when she first came here," Newt looked almost angry by the newcomer.

"What did she say?" I was more anxious about what the girl might have said about another girl being here. That part made me excited that I might have a friend that is the same sex as me. A friend that isn't a stinky, hotheaded teenage boy, well, they actually weren't so bad. Stinky yes. Hotheaded, well that was mainly Minho.

"Everything is going to change. Or something like that. Shuck it. What would she even mean by that?" The fluffy blonde haired boy began rubbing his temples.

"Have you tried asking her?" I asked, trying to sound somewhat helpful, but hell, they had probably already done that.

"Can't. She's in a bloody coma. Thought she was dead when she first came up," Newt shrugged his shoulder's in defeat.

"Weird, isn't it?" I said, thoughtfully.

"What do you mean?" He asked. Newt watched me through slit eyes, confused.

"I mean, the only two girls that were sent up here, came up in comas. Do you think that there might be a coincidence?" I wondered. Did the girl and I have some sort of connection?

"Could very well be, but you also said that your brain reaction might have caused it." Newt seemed like he didn't want to connect us. Like there was something not right about this girl and he wanted me to have nothing in common with her.

"But that's just what I think. WICKED might have had a different plan for me. Maybe they actually meant for it to happen," I said, pointing up to the sky with my middle finger, flipping off anyone watching.

"I'm not sure," the boy kicked at the ground before nodding in the direction of the map room, "we'll talk later. You'd better go finish your job."

"Yes, boss," I mumbled. I pecked the handsome boy on the cheek before jogging back over to where I could see Minho and Alby having a heated conversation. Klunk, I hope it isn't about me.