Chapter 11

I woke up the next morning and could barely move. My muscles had stiffened up and I groaned out in pain with every movement. I slowly changed into fresh clothes and hobbled down the Homestead's stairwell. When I finally made it to the bottom of the stairs, Minho entered, looking straight at me.

"Good, you're up." He said, looking at my shape and chuckled, "don't worry, it will go away in a few days. Best thing to do is continue moving. Helps to loosen those unhappy muscles."

I sighed and tried to punch him in the arm. It was a feeble attempt and my knuckles only grazed his bicep. 

"We are having a Gathering today. Later on, once I come back from my run. You will be required to sit in on it since it will be about you and your potential of being a Runner. If you are voted not to be, then you will return to trying out the rest of the jobs in the Glade," Minho explained in a hurry, looking at his watch. I pouted. What if they voted for me not to become a Runner? It was the only job that made me feel like I was doing something productive to help us escape this God forsaken place. 

"You are going to get frown lines," the Keeper of the Runners joked, "don't worry, Greenbean, I'll put in a good word for you."

"But Newt will vote against it," I sighed, "he clearly doesn't want me to do the one job I actually want to. Does he really think that I can't do it? Because I don't need saving. I can save myself."

"Whoa, calm down, Shank. He doesn't think that you can't. It's something far bigger than that. Don't worry, I can deal with our dear Second-in-command," Minho rolled his eyes at me and glanced once more at his watch. "Alright, I'm out of here. Stay active, Shuckface." With that, he turned and ran out of the homestead. 

I shook my head and continued out of the Homestead myself, every step causing my whole body to ache. I collected my breakfast and went to sit down at an empty table. A lot of Gladers were still asleep, but a few were milling around or had already gotten to work.

Climbing over the bench at the table for breakfast was even harder than walking. I had just gotten one leg over when I felt two hands grab either side of my waist and lift me up. The hands placed me down properly at the table. I turned my head to look at who my mystery savour was. Newt was taking a seat beside me.

"Thanks," I blushed at how stupid I had probably looked. I stabbed a hashbrown with my fork and fought the questions that rose to my mind.

"Always," Newt bowed towards me.

I was trying to be mad at Newt for the way he was acting towards my possible job, but it was proven to be extremely hard. "I'm so glad that Minho gave me the day off. I don't think I could have taken running today," I mumbled.

"Don't worry, it will get easier," he assured me.

I wasn't sure if I should bring up last night when he had carried me to my bed, but I had pretended to stay asleep and there was no way I was going to admit to being awake. 

"You're going to vote against it, aren't you?" I asked in a whisper. I refused to make eye contact with him, looking down at my plate.

"I'm going to vote for what I think will best suit you," Newt replied. I could feel his eyes on me.

"So you are going to force me to try out for the rest of the Glade jobs even though it will make me miserable?" I shot back, a visible scowl on my face.

"Raven, I am only trying to keep you safe from the horrors of out there. Besides, you have to earn your spot as a Runner. Greenies are never chosen," Newt explained.

"I don't need saving. I don't need a fucking knight in shining armour. Minho knows that I can do it, so why can't you?" I stood up from the table, ignoring the pain that shot through my whole body.

"Raven, it's not that," Newt continued in a slow even voice. 

"Right," I growled, "let me guess. It's something far bigger than me. Newt, you can't do that. It is unfair."

"Raven, listen," Newt responded, reaching out for my arm, but I pulled it from his reach.

"No," I said, firmly. "I am not going to sit here and act as if there is something you aren't telling me. I already know about the shucking grievers. I know that these creators don't want us to find the way out. I know the dangers of it all. Just please, let me do this. I was already a mistake, and I don't know how long I had here. Just please, let me do this."

"Mistake?" Newt asked, his eyebrows furrowing. "What do you mean?"

"I guess we both have secrets then," I said before grabbing the rest of my breakfast and stalking off towards the deadheads. I slid down a tree and watched the sun begin to rise above the walls. The farm animals were grazing in their fields. Chickens roamed freely through the crops. It almost seemed peaceful.

I saw Newt over with Minho. They looked to be arguing and I sighed, knowing that it was almost one hundred percent about me. Newt's face was scrunched up into a grimace and Minho seemed to have no emotion what so ever on his face. The maze walls began to open. I couldn't help, but wish I was standing with Minho, ready to run the maze. And Newt looked to have been cut off mid-sentence as Minho and Ben took off into the maze and so did all of the other runners, but at separate openings.

His hands were clenched at his sides as he turned away from the maze and headed over to the fields where he met up with Zart, who had been one of the Gladers up and working.

The sun had just peaked over the wall when other Gladers began to stir. One by one, the boys got up from their spot on the field, rolling up their sleeping bag and pillow and placing them in the homestead. I used the tree as leverage to pull myself up. Everything hurt.

Leo was getting breakfast when I had managed to wander back to the homestead. I sat down with him and some other boys that I had barely met. "Good morning," I chimed.

"Good morning, love," Leo said in an accent similar to Newt's odd one. I rolled my eyes and snatched a piece of bacon from his plate. "You look rough today," Leo stated as I winched at the pain in my arm.

"That's not something you tell a girl," I retorted, sticking my tongue out at him.

"I wouldn't know," Leo gestured to the picnic tables full of boys.

"Not that you mind, though," I smirked.

Leo's eyes widened before his hand shot up to cover my mouth, "not so loud!"

I grabbed Leo's hand off of my mouth and raised my eyebrows, "why? Don't you want all of them to know that you are single and ready to mingle?"

"No!" Leo practically yelled, causing people to turn their attention to us.

"Alright, fine. They are just going to have to miss out, especially Justin. I can tell he likes you," I whispered. I got up and began walking towards the deadheads again. Leo was close behind.

"Justin likes me?" Leo's smile reminded me of an overexcited puppy.

"Yeah, I see the way he looks at you," I shrugged, "I think you should go for it."

"But Raven, none of them would treat me the same. What if the guys just stop treating me like one of them?" Leo fidgeted with his hands, "I don't want them to just stop liking me because I-" Leo paused as if he didn't want to say it. I felt bad for the guy; however, I think most of the Glade already knew about his sexual orientation. He wasn't the greatest at hiding it.

"Because you like guys," I finished for him, bumping my shoulder against his bicep. He was a lot taller than me.

"Yeah," he sighed, "I'll make you a deal." I raised my eyebrows at him, "when you finally decide to tell Newt how you feel about him, I will come out to the rest of the Glade."

"Whoa, that's never going to happen because I don't like-"

"Save it," Leo cut me off, "I know you like Newt. The whole shucking glade knows you like Newt. Well, of course, except Newt. He is just as completely oblivious to your feelings as you are to his."

"Newt likes me?" I knew there was no point in trying to fight Leo. He was right, as much as I hated to admit it to myself. I had feelings for Newt, more than friends feelings. I shuttered at how childish I was acting. More than friend feelings? Who would say that? I sighed and looked at Leo, "it's a deal then."