Chapter 20

Thomas and I worked on my capability for about a week straight. And I had to admit, I was getting good at it. Almost as good as I was getting at talking to Thomas. It had definitely taken some getting used to, but the headaches were now to the minimum, and I was able to concentrate on his voice and push any sounds around out of my head. 

We are going to take a break for a couple weeks. I think people here are starting to get suspicious of my disappearances, Thomas said. We had just finished the session for the day and I checked my watch having exactly half an hour to get back to the Glade without anyone getting worried.

Okay, just let me know when you want to start up again. I replied as I began to run back to the glade. 

Next time, I will bring more grievers. You've mastered one, but I want to see if you can control more than one. I nodded at the beetle blade that had been following me. I knew it was Thomas watching through it. And Raven, he paused for a moment. It was like I could feel him take a deep breath, I know what happened with Tony. I saw it on the video feed. I tripped on an elevated crack as my breath hitched in my throat. I was able to catch myself on some vines. I never met the guy when he was in WICKED's holding area, but I don't trust him. Raven, please be careful. 

I'll try my best, I told him, still holding onto the vines. I think I've got at least five Gladers watching him closely.

Good, I'll talk to you later. Goodbye, my feet felt like jelly underneath me. I let out a breath that I had been holding and started running again.

Wait, Thomas?

Yes?

Can I tell Newt about my dreams?

Yes and I also suggest telling him how you feel about Tony. He should know.

I know, thank you.

Raven, I'm really glad you guys are finally together. It took you long enough, his laugh filled my head. But I knew that his words were genuine.

Me too, I laughed. Goodbye Thomas, then, he was gone.

I sprinted back to the Glade and as soon as I rounded the last corner and the Glade was in sight, I checked my watch. Right on time. I could see Minho in my peripheral vision nearing me from another corridor. I smirked at him and picked up the pace, challenging him to race back to the Glade. He got the message almost instantly and came charging towards me, but I kept myself a step ahead, beating him to the Glade by mere milliseconds. I slowed myself to a walk and grinned triumphantly at the Keeper of the Runners.

"Sheer luck," he muttered as if he was irritated, but his expression was pure amusement.

"You're just getting old. Maybe you should start thinking about retiring from your position and handing it down to the younger, better Runner," I teased, gesturing to myself with both hands.

"Over my dead body," he growled.

"It won't be long before your creaky, old bones won't be able to withstand the pounding of the pavement, and your muscles will have deteriorated. Soon enough, you won't make it back to the Glade in time. The Grievers will get you and then, I will finally be able to take my rightful place." Minho only rolled his eyes in response and I pushed him playfully. 

We had made it to the Map room and I reached for the door first, "after you, old timer." 

"You could be older than me!" he countered but headed in first anyway.

"If I am, I have aged way better than you have," I shrugged. The other Runners in the room seemed to have been amused by our conversation and had stopped to watch the show.