Chapter 26

I pushed forward; my legs carrying me as fast as they could.

I couldn't believe that I had already been in the glade for over a year. It had flown by quicker than I would have ever imagined. Newt and I were still going strong. There were a couple hiccups along the way, but that was always normal, right? I was so unbelievably in love with him. He was infatuating.

The maze walls flew by in a blur as I ran my route.

I stopped for lunch in the spot I always did. There was a nice sized boulder that I was able to comfortably sit on. I pulled out my regular sandwich. I had to admit that even though, Frypan's food was good; it got rather repetitive with the lack of resources. I absentmindedly ate the sandwich as I watched the sky above. There was never any clouds. It almost seemed fake, like a cement wall painted blue.

Once I was finished my sandwich, I guzzled back some water as I walked down the next corridor to the cliff. I looked down into the grey abyss. I grabbed a piece of dead vine and threw it over the edge. It never disappeared just like every other day. I didn't know why I bothered checking every day. Maybe I was just too stubborn of a person to give up. It had to be there for a reason. Why else would the shucking creators have created it?

I took my time going back to the glade. I was running a bit early due to my sprinting so I slowly jogged back. I studied the walls as I passed but nothing was out of the ordinary. Turn after turn, nothing was different. The maze was such a repetitive thing that if anything was different; I would have noticed it right away. If I didn't have the glade as a safe haven, I would literally go insane trapped within these stone walls.

When I got back to the glade, I looked over at the fields and spotted Newt. He was kneeling down beside Zart with his back turned towards me. I couldn't help but smile knowing that he was mine.

I turned my attention back to towards where I was going. I ran into the map room and sucked in a deep breath. My throat burned with dehydration. The stack of paper on the table was slowly diminishing and the box hadn't had any in it the past month when supplies had been sent up. It was weird. Had they stopped spending it for a reason?

I grabbed a piece off of the pile and sketched out my route. I walked to the far corner and put into my trunk. Minho jogged into the room and nodded to me as I left.

"See you at dinner," I called to him as I closed the map room door. I grabbed some water from Frypan's and walked over to the fields. Newt was in the same spot. I slowly started to creep up on him. When I got only a step away from him, I flung myself onto his back and kissed his cheek. I felt Newt stumble slightly but catch himself as I hung onto his back.

"Hey princess," he said as I let myself drop from his back. He turned around and placed a kiss on my lips.

"Hi," I chirped with a smile.

"How was your run?" He asked before bending down and resuming work.

"Same old, some old," Newt didn't worry as much about me anymore now that he knew that I was able to control the grievers. I had been working with Thomas every so often to keep up with it and I was now able to control more than one griever. Not well but I could. "How are the gardens, keeping all them vegetables from dying?" I sat myself down beside him in the dirt.

"Oh yeah, it's been very stressful today. We almost lost one of our potato plants. Zart magically gave it water and it has been improving all day," Newt chuckled, "so tonight, I was thinking we eat dinner at our tree, just us."

"Like a date?" I grinned.

"Like a date," he confirmed.

"I would love to," I crawled towards him and pulled him into a hug, "I'm going to go freshen up!" I hopped up from the ground and jogged away.