Chapter 13

The next day had probably been one of the longest days of my life. Or the longest of the few that I could remember. The highly anticipated Runner status had yet to set in with the new Greenie showing up today.

I had to admit, I was excited to finally be called by my real name and not any of the newbie nicknames. I would no longer be the Greenie. It was a sweet and sour feeling. I had resolved to help Gally and his builders with a few things while I tried to make the day less boring. I was not bad at construction, which probably meant if I ever got demoted, I could resort to that.

Then the loud alarm sounded through the Glade, blaring loudly for a few minutes. I had been prepared for the Newbie sound and wasn't as frightened by it as one might have been without any warning. Alby had also told me that it took about half an hour after the alarm for the Greenie to even show up in the Glade, so no one stopped working until five minutes before the boy got there so that they could all be there when he arrived. As the time grew closer, so did my curiosity. Meeting a new Greenie suddenly felt prideful, like I was finally above someone on the totem pole.

Finally, after the twenty-five minutes was up, Gally put down his tools and gestured for me to follow him. I put my hammer back into my make-shift tool belt and jogged to catch up with his long strides.

I pushed myself to the front of the growing crowd. I was getting excited to see who it was. Newt came over to stand beside me, Minho and Alby right beside him. We still weren't on much of talking terms, but I was trying to understand his side without knowing anything about it. It was Newt, so I knew that he must have a reasoning, but I also had no idea what had him to become so possessive over the job I received.

Most of the Keepers were at the front of the crowd, chatting excitedly over who might get the Greenbean.

"I bet he'll make a great Slicer," Winston said, smirking at the other boys.

"No way, he's going to be a Bagger for sure."

"How do you know that he won't just be a useless Shank that can barely hold a job as a Slopper."

"If he has no brains, Gally and his Shuck Builders can have him. No use to us Medjacks."

I could hear Gally from across the circle that we had formed around the box, "Shut your hole, Clint, before I come over there and cut off anything that makes you feel manly."

I couldn't help but giggle at the Gladers stupid bickering. It was like they were one big family. My family.

Newt nudged my side and I looked up at him. "I like seeing a smile on your face," he muttered sheepishly.

I blushed deeply as Minho made a gagging sound from the other side of Newt. "Thanks, Newt," I mumbled, fixing my eyes on the metal box hole. I checked my watch. One minute left, then I would get to meet the new Greenie. Everyone else seemed to know that it was almost time because all voices had died off. A few people were still murmuring to each other, but none audible enough for me to hear. That was until a Glader behind me spoke, "If it is another girl, I call dibs!"

I was about to spin around and yell at him for such a sexist remark, that girls were not possessions. But then I heard to click on the box finding its home at the top of the elevator shaft. Newt and Alby were jumping forward, pulling open the doors to the box and Alby looked down into the box before throwing a large thick rope down to whoever was in there. Newt was peering down into the box, somewhat of a stoic look on his face.

"Grab on ya Shank," Alby called down.

"Unless you'd rather stay in there," Newt muttered.

The boy must have climbed onto the knot in the rope before Alby, Newt and a few other Gladers were now pulling the rope back up from the box. Other Gladers pushed un closer and began pulling the boy up once he got high enough for them to reach. Once the boy was out of the box, he stood and looked around at all the Gladers. His gaze lingered on me for just long enough for me to become uncomfortable. Newt pushed his way through the crowd after noticing the Greenie's eyes on me. He gave me a concerned look and took hold of my hand. I squeezed it tightly but put on a brave face.