Chapter 17

Listen, Raven, I can't talk long. They'll track your brain waves and find that I am in contact with you. These memories, they aren't from being stung. Your body is somewhat immune to the memory erase that you were put through. When you were put under the sedative, they put a chip into your brain that blocks your memories. Everyone in the Glade has them, but your body had a sort of allergic reaction to something and it forced the chip to malfunction. You are slowly getting your memories back because your body is fighting it. Soon you'll remember everything. You can't tell anyone, though, not even Newt.

I collapsed onto the maze floor. I ignored Minho's worried calls. He had skidded to a stop when he had noticed I was no longer behind him. I could hear him running back over to me but I ignored him. I placed my hands on either side of my face and focused. Wait, Tommy? No answer. Tommy?

Only Newt ever called me that, you always just called me Thomas, he responded. I jumped slightly at his voice. Newt was the only one that ever called him Tommy. They must have been close.

"Raven, what are you doing?" Minho questioned, shaking my shoulders.

You can hear me? I asked in my thoughts. I was using all the energy I had to not lose focus but Minho was making that very difficult.

Yes, I have to go. Raven, you can't tell anyone, especially about us communicating. Promise me, Thomas said. His voice sounded stressed.

I promise I whispered. Then he was gone. It was almost like I felt his presence leave my mind. I pushed myself off the ground, ignoring the new headache that was pounding in my skull.

I checked my watch and looked at Minho, "I think we best be getting back to the Glade."

"What the fuck was that?" Minho asked, refusing to budge when I grabbed his arm.

I cursed to myself and began running back to the Glade; I left Minho in my dust but I knew he wouldn't be far behind. Minho and I were the last runners to get back to the Glade. Most of them were already at dinner. Newt leaned against the map rooms wall. His arms crossed over his chest.

"I was beginning to worry," he said.

"Sorry, we got a little caught up in time," I said sheepishly before shooting Minho a look that said 'if you tell him, I'll cut off your balls'. Minho just shrugged and headed into the map room. I went to follow him with Newt on my tail. I turned back to face him. "You should go get some dinner," I said, "I'll catch up with you."

"I don't mind waiting," he replied.

I sighed and nodded. Minho was already at the table, scribbling down his notes. I followed suit, grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil.

I could see Newt standing there, watching us. I could tell that he knew something else happened to cause us to be late. But I had to stay true to my word. Thomas told me I couldn't tell him, so I couldn't. I didn't know why trusting Thomas was something that I was keen on doing but for some odd reason, it felt right. Had he been one of my friends before the Maze?

Dinner was silent, besides Leo chatter, no one said a word. After a while, I could tell that Minho and Newt were getting restless. Minho was the first to finish his food and excuse himself. Newt was shortly after but I didn't let Newt get far away before I caught up to him.

"I think we need to talk," I said, nodding towards the deadheads. Newt nodded and followed me to the largest tree at the edge of the trees. I slid down it and Newt followed.