Chapter 16

At first, I thought I had only imagined that Newt had spoken those few words. His voice was soft and only loud enough that the words were distinguishable. I pushed myself back from his shoulders and it wasn't until he turned to head towards me that I knew I had actually heard real words. "You do?" I whispered. It had sounded pathetic, but I need to make sure.

"Yes," he murmured almost like he was embarrassed by the mer thought of liking a girl. "What I should've buggin' said was," he paused for a second, as if to gather any remains courage, "will you be mine, Princess?"

My eyes widened. I had only ever imagined him saying these things to me. Never in a million years had I thought it would ever happen. My heart was nearly leaping out of my chest and the breathing hitched, causing me to choke on the air caught in my throat. I coughed a few times, turning away from Newt in the process.

By the time I had recollected my breathing skills, I turned back to see Newt looking at me with a frown. "Forget I ever said anything," he muttered, shaking his head, "I knew it had been a stupid idea." He pushed himself up from the dirt, dusting off the residue.

That shook me out of my trance. "Newt," I called, getting up from my seat and grabbing his arm gently before he could turn away.

The blonde Glader look at me with sad eyes, but he forced a smile. "It's okay, Raven. You don't have to explain. We're best friends, always will be," he reassured as if it was the right thing to say.

"No, that's not wha-" I was cut off by a loud crashing to our left.

"Hey, man! Watch where you're going!" Frypan growled as he bent over to pick up a metal platter that looked to be the lid of a trash can and he began throwing the soiled food into the burning fire.

"Sorry, Fry," the other Glader mumbled, leaning down to help with the cleanup. "I hadn't been paying attention."

I rolled my eyes at the two boys and turned back to tell Newt how I really felt, but the second-in-command was gone. Nowhere in sight. I sighed and shook my head. He must have headed off to bed. It was probably best for me to do the same. This conversation was going to have to wait.

"I'm turning into for the night!" I called to Minho who was now across the fire from me.

He nodded, "me too. I'll see you in the morning."

I nodded back and turned towards the homestead, saying goodnight to a few other Gladers on my way.

"The subjects are almost ready. If you'd like to say any last words to them before the procedure, I suggest you do so now," the woman in white said. I looked around. There were about five other people in the room. Two girls and three boys all around my age. I hesitated before walking into the room. A bunch of boys stood in a line in front of metal tables. I recognised most of them, others I had no clue who they were. I spotted Newt. He stood at the foot of a table next to Minho. He looked as if he was holding back tears. I ran into his arms. He wrapped them around me and I was swallowed into his warmth. His scent overwhelmed my senses which only made this whole thing even harder. My best friend was leaving me.

"Please don't leave me," I whispered, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"I don't have a choice. They will kill me if I don't," Newt said in a hollow voice, "but please, Raven always remember that you are the best friend I've ever had. You will always be my best friend."

"Best friends," I whispered, wiping my tears. I stuck my index finger out towards Newt. He locked his index finger in mine.

"Tommy, take care of her," Newt turned to a boy with dark brown hair. He had been standing a short way behind us. He was looking sullenly at the group of boys.

"I'll do everything in my power to keep her safe," the boy nodded. I recognised the voice. It had been the boy who had spoken to me in my head the day I was stung.

Newt grabbed my arm, making me look back at him, "goodbye Raven, maybe one day we'll meet again. I look forward to that day," I was pulled out of the room by two men with guns before I could respond.

"Newt!" I screamed, fighting against the men. "Please, don't put him in there! You can't!" They were too strong; it was no use.

My watch beeped several times before I turned it off. I climbed out of bed, shaking off the emotions from the dream. Newt had already made my breakfast and lunch when I got down to the kitchen. I smiled and sat down beside him at our usual table.

"Thank you," I smiled.

He nodded, "it was no problem at all. How was your sleep?" Had yesterday even happened? Or had that just been a dream too? No, it couldn't have been. I could tell Newt had already been up for a while because he was already done his breakfast, "did you have another dream?"

I nodded, "yeah, this one was more recent, though. How long have you been in the glade for?"

"About a year and a half, why?"

"Well, this one must have been just before you were sent here then, it was when these people took your memories away," I explained. I didn't want to get into much detail about it. Newt nodded and shifted in his seat.

Minho joined us after not too long. "Good morning, lovebirds," he smirked. He bit down on a piece of toast, overloaded butter dripping down his hand.

Newt shifted slightly in his seat and Minho raised his eyebrows. But before the Keeper of the Runners could question his actions, Newt pushed back from the table. "I've got a lot to do, best be off. Have a good run," he muttered, grabbing his empty plate and heading for the kitchen.

"What's got his panties in a twist?" Minho asked, watching Newt's retreating form.

I just shrugged, there was no way I was admitting my feelings to Minho before Newt. "His time of the month?" I offered.

Minho snorted and nodded, "alright, Raven. Meet me at the doors in five."

I rolled my eyes at Minho's shortness and got up from my seat. "Don't be late," I retorted before dropping my dirty dishes in the kitchen and heading to the map room to grab a few things.

I had beaten Minho to the Maze doors as per usual and Ben was already there. "Morning," I mumbled to the other Runner. Upgraded to our door, I see."

Ben let out a short chuckle, "maybe Minho has finally seen my importance."

I laughed too, "Minho? Thinking of anyone else but himself as important? Did you drink too much of Gally's recipe last night?"

The sandy blonde haired boy rolled his eyes, "man, I wish I had. Maybe I could have slept in and opted out of running today."

"Yeah, right, Benny," Minho said from behind us. We both turned to see Minho with his gaze lowered to us. "I would come and kick your ass if you ever had an excuse like that. You'd regret it."

I could see that Ben was about to retort back when the walls began to move away from each other. The stone made an awful screech as it scraped the Glade floor. The three of us rocketed off into the maze just as there was enough room to squeeze through the gap. Minho and I nodded goodbye to Ben as we headed off down different corridors.