Chapter 7

The sunbeams burst in through the window of my room. I shielded my eyes as my head began to feel like millions of elephants were trampling on it. I reluctantly pulled myself out of bed and headed to the kitchens.

The cook smirked at the look on my face, "a little too good of a night?"

I groaned and nodded, "I don't even know who the hell Gally is but I want to give him a piece of my mind."

"Oh, don't we all," the cook chuckled, "I'm Frypan, by the way."

I nodded solemnly and said as my stomach began to grumble, "I'm Raven."

Frypan served me some food and I sat down at an empty table. I ate quickly before returning up the stairs of the homestead. I looked from my doorway to the one across from it; that one must be Newt's room. I remembered him saying he was right across the hall. I knocked softly on the door, no answer. The knob turned easily as I pushed it slowly open. I peered my head in as quietly as possible, cautious in case it was not actually Newt's room. As I had suspected, Newt was still passed out in his bed. Feeling more confident, I swung the door wide open; however, it got stuck on an uneven floorboard and I had to shove it once more to get it open enough to reveal the whole room. I crept my way over to his bed, cursing a floorboard as it squeaked under my weight. I grabbed his shoulders with either of my hands and started to shake him. Newt groaned and pulled my hands off of him. He was able to hold both of my hands in one of his. He squinted up at me. I leaned in close to him, "good morning sleepy head. I told you, you'd regret it."

Newt only smirked and pulled me down onto the bed, wrapping his arms tightly around me. "I'm not done sleeping," he growled, his voice deep from sleep. His grip was tight and I couldn't devise a plan of getting out, except one, I bit down on Newt's arm, not hard enough to break the skin, but enough that he let go in shock. I quickly rolled out of the bed and onto my feet.

"Get up!" I yelled and instantly regretting it due to my own headache. I pulled him off of the bed and onto the floor.

"You bloody bit me!" He examined his arm; there were teeth marks visible on his bicep.

"You trapped me!" I shot back. I began to blush when I noticed that Newt was only in his boxers. I spun around on my feet and muttered, "sorry."

Newt chuckled from behind me and after a few minutes of shuffling around, he had pushed himself up off the floor and walked past me, now fully dressed, out the door. I stood in his room a moment longer before turning and following him out.

"So," I hummed from behind him, "what job am I starting with today?"

"Not today, you start tomorrow." He replied, still walking in front of me. I followed him closely like a lost puppy.

"Why?" I was somewhat upset by this. Were they babying me because I'm the only girl? What was I going to do all day?

"We slept in, most people are already out at work, so just relax for the day. I've got some duties to do today, but I help out in the fields in my spare time, so if you are looking for me, I'll likely be there," Newt explained as I followed him to the kitchens so that he could get some breakfast as well.

I nodded my head slowly, "do you think Minho made it out for his run today?" I could vaguely remember him keeping up his drinking with Newt and me.

"That guy is very punctual," he chuckled.

"Do you remember much from last night?" I couldn't remember much myself. The last memory that I came to mind was Newt, Minho, Leo, and myself lounging by the fire.

"Why do you think I got sent up here, being the only girl?" I asked, looking straight at the fire. I didn't know why but the question embarrassed me.