Chapter 10

A/N: Hello my lovely readers, I have recently made some changes to my book (Miya's name is now Raven and the title was changed to Deleted Memories. If you have read the book up until now with her old name. I apologise for any inconvenience but I just felt that Raven suited her personality a lot better. 

Thank you for the understanding,

your author, Autumn

___

The excitement bubbled inside me and kept me awake for most of the night. I was up early the next morning. It wasn't light outside yet, but I could tell that the sun would be starting to show soon enough. I hurriedly grabbed the same clothes from yesterday and pulled them on. I secured the backpack over my shoulders and clipped the chest strap uptight.

No other Glader was up, not even any Runners, so I tiptoed through the homestead, careful not to wake up anyone else sleeping inside. I got to the main landing and nearly rolled my ankle in a missing floorboard. I cursed at the darkness and continued out into the Glade. I felt my way over to the kitchen and pulled myself inside. From there, I turned on the single light bulb that hung above the door. I collected myself a breakfast of toast and fruit and two sandwiches for lunch and sat down at one of the tables outside.

I was already done my food when Minho came up, stifling a yawn. "Morning," I chimed, smiling at him, then adding, "Klunkface." I had heard several Gladers call each other it before.

"You're already up," he stated in a tone that sounded half grumpy and half amused.

"Couldn't sleep," I shrugged. Minho went into the kitchen before returning a couple minutes later with his own breakfast and lunch.

Minho ate his breakfast then led me into the map room. I watched as he cranked the wheel and opened the metal door. He shoved it aside and allowed me to step in first. It was empty besides a table in the middle of the room and eight trunks positioned evenly apart around the room. The lack of windows and air flow made the place reek of sweat, stale air, and mildew.

Minho didn't waste any time. He handed me two small knives, a belt with leather holsters, and a watch from a supplies cabinet.

I slipped the belt around my waist, making sure to cinch it up tightly so that it wouldn't move around when running. I placed the knives snugly into the holsters, strapping them in with small snap buckles. I attached the watch to my wrist and looked at Minho to see him holding several bottles of water. He threw three of them to me and slipped the others into his bag. I shoved them into my backpack, having just enough room.

A few other Runners had entered the room now and were collecting their own things. Minho exchanged a few words with them before ushering me out of the room once more.

I relished in the air that was still crisp from being early morning; I knew it wouldn't be long before the sun beat down on us. Part of me was hoping that Newt would be down to see us off. To show that he did think I could do it, but he wasn't anywhere to be seen. My heart sunk slightly, but I tried to shake it off.

"Once those doors open, we run. Simple as that, keep up, don't be stupid and we should be able to make it back here in one piece," Minho ordered, checking his watch. "One minute," he said, nodding up at the doors, "get ready."

I bounced back and forth on my feet, getting antsy. I always hated waiting. I tried to slow my breathing but the excitement was starting to hit. I was finally going to get to go into the maze, something that, while I hadn't been waiting that long for it, I was ecstatic about.

The doors began to grind open and the second the opening got big enough, Minho burst out into a full run, not missing a beat. It took me a second to realize before setting off myself, running at a faster pace to catch up. When we got to the first fork, Minho took a sharp right and I followed close behind. Minho and I ran the maze. It had been at least a few hours before he slowed, but only slightly. He reached into the sheath that was attached to his belt and pulled out the knife. He grabbed a vine tightly from the wall and sliced it. He dropped it in the middle of their path and continued going. I didn't question him, only watched. My throat was so dry that I had no idea if anything would even come out if I did. He sped back up and I did my best to do the same.