Chapter 40

*A/N*

Hey guys! I'm so so so so so so so so soooo sorry! I hit the Mother of all Writers blocks! I maybe wrote one paragraph a day, maybe a bit more. And I honestly had no idea on how to write this chapter. I hope you guys think it was worth the wait!

*Niels POV*

I take Elsa to the car as instructed by the minister, he said to take the third car down. With all the vehicles being identical, I assume it's minister Moon being OCD about these details. Not one person knows who is in these cars, let alone muggles. However, I learned my lesson the other night.

No more questions.

Especially when it comes to Elsa. My number one job now is to keep her safe and protected.

I open the back door for Elsa. She gathers up the skirts of her silk blue dress, then struggles getting in the car. I sigh gathering a bit of the dress from behind. With the extra help, Elsa is able to get inside the car. I get in on the other side. The foot space in that seat is taken by the dress. Not even I want to risk getting it dirty.
When I shut the door, the driver starts to move.

"So, how do you feel queeny?" I ask in a light hearted manner. Elsa keeps her eyes on her hands as she speaks.

"Fine I guess. Ready to get it all over with."

Her words hold emptiness in them. I know that I've only known Elsa for a little over a month, but we have spent hours together. I know when she is holding back. Before the clearing incident, I was just starting to get to know more of her personality. She was letting down some walls.

Right now is the chance to break down another wall. I roll up the window that separates us from the driver and the one other guard. "See, no need for a fake answer anymore. How do you really feel? About going up there."

"Figure it out Niel. I'm going to an event against my will, wearing a dress that's so tight I can barley breathe, and after tonight I'll never be free again. So, I think the answer is pretty clear." Elsa sighs resting against the door.

Smriking, I give a lighthearted answer. "Nervous then."

"Yes! Lives are on the line Niel-"

The words are knocked out of her when the car suddenly grinds to a stop. I fly forward hitting my head in front and behind when I'm jerked back. I groan holding my forehead. "Ah..my head...What happened?" I ask the driver.

"Some idiot ran out into the road. Everything's fine."

I nod then turn to Elsa. "You okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah I'm fine. My shoulder just hurts from the seat belt."

The car moves forward again. Both of the guards in the front get their wands out, apparently whatever happened is a threat. Not just some kid running into the road. I reach into my jacket for my own wand. My eyes don't stay on one spot, they keep searching all around. I even reach over and take the manacles off of Elsa.

She stares at me bewildered. "Just a precaution..when we get there I'll have to put 'em back on. Okay?"

Elsa nods without a word. Her eyes now wide with worry. I can not imagine what is going through her thoughts. Is she thinking about who could be after her? What could happen if she's caught without the manacles? Oh God what was I thinking?!? The minister will kill her and me if he catches her.

I reach for the manacles resting between us.

As I do, there's a loud bang from the back of the car. The driver sends us careening into an alley, then crashes into a dumpster.