Chapter 38

*Hiccups POV*

We step off of the boat that had taken us across the channel, I pay the captain the amount he asked for in order to get us here. There was no way that we were going to risk getting caught by the minister's men, nor were any of us ready to take them on just yet. So, the group agreed to have a small boat take us. It is almost two in the afternoon, the minister makes his announcement at ten o'clock tonight. There isn't any time to waste.

I adjust my backpack as I keep up my pace with Merida. She has been to France a couple times in her life. If anyone can be a guide in this country it's her.

I take a hold of her hand to slow her down just a bit. She stares down at our hands, bewildered. "What are you doin?"

"Um..exactly what it looks like."

Merida smirks. "Since when have you been Mr. Affectionate?" Her tone is teasing, but there's a bit of hurt in her voice. I haven't exactly been the best at showing my care for her in the past month.

I don't say anything and just grin at her. Merida rolls her eyes, but she doesn't let go of my hand. They say that actions speak louder than words, but often forget that no action at all speaks volumes. Right now, Merida not letting go of my hand is almost as if she's singing to me. Singing that she is happy that I'm finally showing my care for her.

"Okay, ya show ponies, stop the.." Flynn stops to wave his hand at Merida and I, "whatever this is. And tell us exactly where the French ministry. Cause at the moment, I see nothing but muggles."

Jack snorts and rolls his eyes, I shake my head before answering. "Obviously that's the point, Eugene." Using his real name always hits a nerve, the only time he never gets mad if it's used is if Rapunzel says it. "Merida, our friends seem a bit impatient. Let's go see this old friend whom we'll be staying with."

"Of course darling. This way boys." Merida lets a soft kiss on my cheek before taking the charge in front once more. I stand in the same place a bit longer. Shocked. She hasn't even done anything like that since the battle at Hogwarts. I kind of like it, the more affectionate Merida. When Jack hits my shoulder, I blink to refocus and pick up my feet following.

_______________

Merida takes down a very narrow street, the houses on both sides so close together I'm afraid of hitting a window by turning my head. "Mer, how can anyone live here? Are you sure we're not in some alley? I can't see a single door." Jack said low, then ducks avoiding a pipe.

"He's here do not worry. The guy is on the short side, plus he likes the privacy. Oh, and one more thing before I open this door." She stops suddenly turning on her heel. The guys and I almost trip on our feet and run into each other, her movement so sudden. Merida raises a single finger. "Do not laugh. He will kick your ass."

I furrow my eyebrows confused looking at the guys for an explanation. Flynn shrugs his shoulders, at a loss for words. Jack doesn't pay attention, his focus fully on Merida knocking on the small door. For a moment there is nothing but silence. I feel the guys on both sides of me as we all lean in closer to see. Without warning the door opens, revealing a green looking house elf.

We gasp moving away. His appearance taking us off guard. "I've never seen a green house elf," I mumbled still staring at the strange elf.

"House-elf, I am not. Yoda I am. Merida, good to see you it is."

"The same to you. You got my letter?" She asks not paying us any attention.

"Yes yes, come in." He gives a little quirky laugh going back inside. Merida moves her head in the direction of the door. She ducks going inside. If I could see my own face, it would be full of confusion and bewilderment. Flynn raises a single shoulder at me as if he's saying, "Why not?"