Chapter 2: Moving In?

Shuffling outside my room wakes me up. Who can it possibly be?

I grab a gun from my night stand and stand right beside the wall. The knob turns slowly and the door starts to open.

I tackle the intruder. Pinning him on the floor with me sitting on their chest and a gun in their face, they stay still.

"Calm down, Kels. It's just me." Reed's voice chuckles nervously. I jump up off of him.

"Damn it, Reed. You cannot be coming to my apartment without me knowing! I would've shot you in the face." I glance over at the clock on my night stand. 3:36 AM.

"Thirty minutes of fucking sleep." I grumble. Well at least this is spring break. Oh yeah. Did I mention I'm a senior at my high school?

"Why are you here, Reed?" I set my gun back on the night stand.

"I wanted to see if you were okay. I dropped your brother off and told him to just leave you alone for a while." He stands up too and brushes his jeans off as if they got dirt on them.

"Well thanks, but I don't need to be checked up on. I've lived plenty of years without it." I sigh and walk out into the living room.

"You're my mate. I need to know you're safe." He follows me and sits on my couch.

"You don't get it, do you? I don't need someone to be looking out for me! I don't need you and I don't need a mate." He stares at me with hurt on his face. My heart's coldness melts a little. No! I refuse to let anybody in.

"I don't care. I'm going to be in this town for the rest of my life. I'm not leaving. Just talk to me, Kels." He runs a hand through his hair, which is quite sexy. Wait! Stop looking at him!

"No." I turn away and walk over to my keyboard.

"Do you play?" he asks after a few minutes. I glance at him, nod, and then turn back to the piano.

Then I play.

"I'm tired of being what you want me to be. Feeling so faithless, lost under the surface." I sing Numb by Linkin Park so low that I can't even hear it, but I play loud. "Don't know what you're expecting of me. Put under the pressure of walking in your shoes."

Reed stares at me again through the whole song.

"You have a lovely voice," he says when I finish the song. I shrug.

"Whatever. Go back home. Both of you just leave me alone. My life was great before you two showed up." I snap. He narrows his eyes.

"Your life was not great."

"It was good enough! I make my own money, I support myself, and I feed myself. I provide myself with protection, shelter, clothes, and a vehicle. What more do I need?" My voice rises with every word.

"You need Garret. You need me. By what you said earlier, Garret's the only family you've got and I'm definitely not letting you go. Your my mate and I love you."

"No." I shake with anger. "I will never love anyone. I don't know what you expect me to be, but I will never be the girl I used to. I have no soul, Reed. That was ripped away from me the day they never came back. I'm sorry I can't be the perfect mate."

"I don't-"

"Get out."

"Kelse-" he tries again.

"Get out!" I scream. With one last look, he leaves me by myself.

Finally.

I wake up to my alarm and a pounding skull. Great, a hangover. Huh. I must've drank and gone back to bed.