Chapter 7: No means NO

I wake up alone in my bed, slightly disappointed. What was I expecting? Reed to stay the whole night? Yeah, you've got to be kidding. Lazily getting out of bed, I get ready and go through school normally. I have no run-ins with the little bullies that were messing around with Mel, but I'm sure they're just tormenting her in private.

The rest of the school day is uneventful, luckily, so I take the time to go shop for a new pair of shoes. My high-tops are getting pretty tore up.

"Hey Kelsey, where you going?" Libby asks me after the bell rings.

"I guess to the mall. I need new kicks." I tell her. She frowns.

"I wish I could go but I have to watch my brothers."

"Maybe next time, Libbs. I gotta go! Text you later!" I start my car and drive off quickly.

Hm, which store to go to...

Two hours later I've gone through about three stores and found nothing. Four more to go! Just then, my stomach rumbles. Okay, maybe some food first.

I grab my Subway sandwich after getting through a very long line. Was it 'let's all get freakin Subway today' day? Next time I'm settling for Doritos.

"Hiya, pretty lady. Whatcha doin?" I turn and see a tall blonde dude grinning at me. I raise a brow back.

"Well if you can't tell, I just got some food." Setting my food down on a table, I sit and unwrap it.

"Subway? That was a pretty long line. That old lady was taking forever!" He rants. I roll my eyes and take a bite of my delicious sub. "What's a gorgeous girl like you doing out here by yourself?" I swallow my bite before replying.

"I'm looking for some shoes but this damn mall seems to have no sense of style." I grumble and chew another bite.

"Yeah. My first time here and I'm already disappointed." he sighs. "Who would think a New York mall would be so unbelievably empty?"

"You've never been here? What's your name?" I ask.

"Justin. You?"

"Call me Rave."

"You aren't the Rave that my friends have been warning me to stay away from, are you?" He eyes me suspiciously. I smile.

"That would be me. I presume they think I'll beat you up?"

"Yeah. I called him a wussy and left. You don't seem as bad as they say you are." He gives me a toothy grin.

"Well just don't annoy me. Then you'll be fine."

"Am I annoying you now?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"'Cause you asked if you were annoying me."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"That's because you're stupid." I laugh.

"How am I stupid?"

"Because."

"Tell me."

"Shut up. I'm trying to eat my sandwich."

"Can I ask you something?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Justin, shut up." I grab my halfway eaten sandwich and toss it in the trash.

"Hey you should come visit me in Virginia!" He shouts after me.

I pause. "What?"

"Here's my phone number. I think we should hang out! If you ever need a place to stay just text me!" He hands me a piece of paper and runs off before I can say anything. Shrugging, I shove it in my pocket and go off to the other shoe stores.