Chapter 45 - Victories Greater Than A Loss

Here it is. The final chapter of Rise of the Heir.

I can't emphasize how much writing this book had meant to me and it is an honor for me to finally present to you the very last chapter.

Thank you very much to all my patient dedicated and loyal readers and I apologize for the delay in the last two weeks because I have been kept so busy. From this point on the Kingdom of the Rose series will come to a temporary halt, as I have to write a few chapters ahead and also design the cover. 

I can promise you the story will get really deep in "Kingdom of the Rose: Keys to the Past" as the title suggests; we will find out more about Del Teira's very interesting history from its dawn of time.

Thank you so much for all your comment, votes and reads! It has been an interesting journey with all of you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            The Palace was empty, more so quiet than usual.

            I had taken a day off just resting, but it seemed that the throbbing of my head had yet to die down. The fever brought a misty haze around my consciousness, but I needed to see what everyone was up to. Only Franciss, Délio and Terrea had visited me, all of them tightly keeping their mouths shut. I could only remember being carried in Lenn’s arms, before I fell into the darkness again.

            “Her Highness is here,” Terrea knocked the doors twice, opening and letting me enter. All of the Commanders at the Northern Front stared at me - brown eyes, grey eyes, green eyes, golden eyes, and blue eyes. Lenn – no, Rico was sitting at Dan’s spot, his ears perfectly round and human. I tensed at the thought of having him here, but I supposed it was something that can’t be changed, not without having the entire table intent on murdering him.

            “Princess,” Seibara, dipped his head in acknowledgment, motioning to the seat right across him. Conrad and Lenn were both beside me, staring at my probably sickly flushed face. I averted my gaze to the old man’s serious face. “Head General,” I nodded. He studied my black dress, and understood.

            “I hope you are recovering well. Thanks to you, our first defensive movement was a huge victory; Wendell believed our casualties were even below the days of your father. You have a good reason to be proud,” he looked at Wendell, who sat beside him with a solemn expression.

            “Then send all the men some good hearty meat and some caskets of quality wine. Let them celebrate at the town square, but let no celebration come near the Palace,” I worded emotionlessly, leaning back to the chair. It was soft, plushy velvet, and already I could feel my mind start to drift back to the war. Dan…

            “We also have a female faerie in our dungeons. She came to us almost willingly and we have every reason to suspect her, but I was hoping you would be able to handle her, Princess,” Seibara continued. Both Conrad and Lenn snapped their heads at the sudden news. I let out a quiet sigh, knowing full well that even my lethargy was not excuse enough to let such matters go unattended. 

            “I will take care of her. Is there anything else about the war? Did they prepare another march?” I muttered dryly, focusing my attention on the matter at hand and avoiding the pain in my head. At the silent reply, I looked up at all of their faces, clouded with somewhere between fear and discomfort.

            Seibara was looking at Wendell, who was looking far into the distance of the windows. Marvin remained stoic, Lucas sitting quietly and just being Lucas by thinking deep all by himself. Conrad avoided my eyes, and instead glared at Lenn, who frowned but still kept an even gaze.