Chapter 7 - Newfound Power

Just ranting out my anger on Wattpad because somehow all my chapters ended up as new stories that did not exist and my Reads got deleted into 0 again. Please please please, comment, vote and share share share ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

         It was all I could do to marvel at the brilliance of the barrier of air before the dragon’s tail thumped loudly, distracting my thoughts. Almost immediately the air dispersed into nothing, and with luck my super reflexes forced me to jump and miss the second hit. I ran towards the other end of the chamber, giving myself time to think. I did magic! For real! My mind was in wonders, celebrating that simple achievement. Learn to use that same technique inside your mind to shield your thoughts away from other spell casters. Goodbye, Rosalinda. The voice faded completely, leaving me in wonder and amazement. Who was that? Had I simply imagined everything?

        A huge roar awakened me from my daydream as I realize Dan was still knocked out and there was no one to save us but myself. The wound was still bleeding profusely, draining lots of my energy. With a gasp of air I repeated the same process, creating shackles of air around the creature as well as applying pressure on the wound. Please stop the bleeding. I hoped. Sensing his immobility the creature struggled and trashed in anger for a few minutes, before finally choosing to watch me with cautious eyes.

        Who are you? A startled voice boomed throughout my head. I pushed his mind away from mine, breaking the communication as the voice before had told me. “I am Princess Rosalinda Anette la Crescera, looking for the pearl as was instructed by Tony Buelle,” I replied vocally. The dragon cocked his head, his expression wistful. So he can’t communicate without telepathy, I noted to myself and allowed him into my head carefully.

          I see. Fëylyn’s spirit within the royal-human-blood is a friend-of-mine, the dragon murmured. So the Goddess Fëylyn’s blessings to the Cresceran line still exists and are respected by these legendary creatures. Feeling assured, I released my hold on him, and watched as he sat on the ground in a cat-like stance. I am the water spirit beast Fraënir, guardian of the Pearl of Prophecies. Some malicious individuals have tried to steal it, and one group managed to do away with stoning me using a poisoned serpent. Luckily they have taken a fake and the real one still rests in your companion’s hands. He looked at Dan, the glistening pearl resting on his lap. Dan! With all the commotion, I had almost forgotten about my best friend.

        “Wake up, Dan,” I checked his pulse for a steady heartbeat before giving him a shake. He had a huge lump at the back of his head, but slowly regained his senses. “Th-the dragon…” he murmured, and gasped at the sight of Fraënir. I laughed at his fearful expression. “Don’t worry, he’s a benevolent dragon now,” I said in between my fits of giggles. He still looked stunned to see Fraënir, but I couldn’t help but understand his awe. Fraënir’s body was covered in different hues of sapphire blue, except for his pitch-black eyes. They caught the light from our flames and the tiny crystals within the cavern walls, his figure a bright glimmer in the darkness.

        I’m sorry for the damage I have inflicted upon you both, he said, and Dan nearly jumped out. “H-he talks too! This is crazy! Please tell me it’s not me being delusional because of the concussion?” I shook my head, rolling on the ground in silent laughter. So the both of you are ignorant and inexperienced in the world of magic, Fraënir remarked. “Yes, we are,” Dan replied him, folding his hands while looking at me.

        Well, then I don’t see the point in giving you such an important treasure to such youngsters, he replied. “We are crossing over the Meisa to Dedraun Village in hopes of getting the assistance of Arkkadia and ending the war. We need that pearl to thank Tony Buelle, the man who owns the hut outside Seagreill Cave, who has been longing for his late wife’s pearl,” I announced in a more serious tone.

        You are right; this is Caella’s pearl. Well, well, it certainly has been a while. His late wife had once healed me after a few serpents had wounded me. I then chose to stay in this cave to watch over their family until one day Caella died of a disease. Unlike her, I had no knowledge in the healing arts. Tony then gave me this pearl of hers as a token of our friendship, as I am immortal and there too would be a day when he would leave this world.

        But this pearl has now a bigger value in the world; with my attachment towards the precious item, I made it into a dimension key that could not only grant its wielder special abilities but also summon a spirit beast. Like its name, the Pearl of Prophecies will allow you to hear a prophecy of the future but something tells me you have heard it yourself, have you not, Princess?

         “Yes,” I replied quietly.

         “But I don’t,” Dan complained.

         Well, she can tell you all about that later. I suppose as a gift for releasing me from that cursed state I could hand over this dimension key, so long as you promise me that you would keep it safe, by all means. And that means you, Rosalinda, not Tony or anyone else. Once you have summoned me and I have repaid your kindness I will request the pearl back. And by then, I hope you have grown strong enough to defend yourself from the ever-so dangerous times you live in.

         “Thank you, Fraënir.”

           No, thank you. It would have been disastrous if the pearl had fallen into the wrong hands. Send Tony my regards, with that the magnificent beast shimmered into light, floating towards the pearl. The chamber was quiet, except for our own loud breathing. I could still sense Fraënir’s majestic presence, now encompassed within the pearl.

         “Well,” I looked at Dan, “that was exhilarating.”

          “Too bad I was knocked out the entire time,” Dan replied sourly.

     I recounted the events to Dan as we trudged back to Tony's home. The sun was already setting on the horizon, the waters reflecting the now purple sky tinged with oranges and yellows. "And so, with his advice I learned magic!" I concluded. He was stupefied, staring down at me from his height trying to digest the information. "You don't seem different at all, Rosa. I bet you're still the little girl you are - race you to finish line!" With a grin he left my side, rushing across the beach in a flurry. That's the thing about Daniel Reidd; I loved how he could let go all his worries in a breath. Laughing, I followed him, albeit at a much slower pace with the pain on my abdomen. 

        Dan looked over, and I chose that moment to push him off the ground. "H-how did you do that?" He stuttered, thrilled at the experience. "I won," sticking my tongue out at him before letting him down. Almost immediately my head felt slightly dizzy. "You little cheater," he wrapped his hands over my shoulder, rubbing my hair in a frenzy of directions. "Hmph," I huffed in complaint and pain. The scratches were deep and although at the surface it had dried up, the pain was still there, throbbing at the edge of my thoughts. He released his grip to open the door, surprised to find Tony already waiting.