Chapter 23 - To Protect, or Be Protected

“Wake up,” a soothing low voice nudged my shoulder. “I feel drained,” I groaned, my body shaking with muscle cramps. It was a bad idea to spar so fiercely after ten days of staying in bed and three days of full-on riding. I looked at him, feeling slightly guilty for not allowing him to sleep. He was lacking on rest as much as I was. “Do you want to rest?” I offered, shaking the drowsiness off. Just another hour before the plateau.

       “It’s all right. I’ve discussed things with Seibara. We’ll take a night off for them to visit Celtara, and restock our supplies. It’ll be Marvin, some few others, and the two of us. Our main target is to take out the heads and magicians, as well as their food supply. Other than that, we are to stay hidden. Got it?”

       I nodded in reply. Pretty simple idea, but it was probably going to be much more difficult than that. From the edges of my peripheral vision I could see Dan looking at us. I looked at him, seeing the pain in his eyes. What does he really want me to do?

       “Hey Conrad, do you mind if I ride on Athlea?” I asked, Ryoren slowly trotting into a halt. Athlea edged closer with excitement. He cocked his head, eyebrows questioning. “We’re not doing any flying anyway. I just… I miss her,” I removed the cast gently, slowly letting my arms flex. Thankfully, the large scar was on my shoulder. It didn’t hurt, but neither did it feel as good as before. It felt like being a baby all over again, slowly relearning the feel of my own muscles.

       “That’s not advisable, but… fine,” he pulled his dark hair back in surrender. He helped me get down, allowing me to skip towards Athlea. “Rosa, what the heck are you doing?” Franciss exclaimed as we both joined the group. “Relax. It’s not that bad. I can definitely move it, but it’s just not as strong as before. I suppose the stab wound did break some ligaments or something here,” I said, pointing to my shoulders. “You’re crazy! What if they do not reconnect properly? Let me inspect it on our next break,” she insisted. I nodded nonchalantly. She was one of those people who I cannot say ‘no’ to.

       Due to Seibara’s excitement, we did not stop that day and decided to take a break once we reach the plateau.  It was late in the afternoon when we could finally hear the rush of the Koulryi River, the sun a light orange. It wasn’t the best of times to take a look at my home. There were bloodstains all over, although the bodies were thankfully taken away. Celtara was on one end, the Telrianna tree looming over the palace. A group of soldiers were patrolling the area, tents set up a few miles away from the palace walls.

       When I was younger, the plateau was a lush of light green, the shrine a beautifully crafted sanctuary in the name of our Goddess. The palace gates were always open to everyone, and even children were allowed to walk near the river. It was a great expanse of land that was simply free for everybody. Sometimes a faerie or two might sneak out and interact. Other times, we were left to our own kind.

       “Welcome to Celtara, although it certainly isn’t in prime condition,” I introduced them to the place, pointing to certain landmarks. The white Fëylyn shrine stood on one end, priests now tending to the wounded. “It certainly is… different,” Conrad remarked, his eyes busy assessing the area strategically. “As if you’ve been here before,” I snorted, although not without a smile. “Come on, Rosa. Now,” Franciss ordered as I stepped down from Athlea. With a seat on a nearby rock, I allowed Franciss assess my left hand. “Well, it did recover quite quickly, I daresay,” she asserted. I saw Dan’s head perk at her words, and I decided that this crap needed to end. After nodding grateful thanks to Franciss, I walked up to him.  

       “How far are the fairies, Commander?” I saw his figure, standing quietly at the side. A few years back, I would not have even imagined seeing this side of him. “Thirty minutes of flying, a day or two of marching, Princess,” he returned my gaze evenly, his green eyes studying the landscape darkly. The lines around his forehead were creased, the lightness in his attitude gone completely. What have I done to him?

       “My best friend seems so far away,” I smiled miserably, my voice cracking. He laughed sarcastically at my comment. “No, Rosa. It’s you who’s going further away, somewhere where I can’t reach.” Those were the words of my best friend, after living together for almost ten years, standing a few feet before me. “Feel free to visit the Palace and have your arm properly checked. Wendell is probably worried about you. I’ll lead Seibara to the promised camping grounds, and I can send him to the Palace tonight.” With a formal salute, he walked by without a second glance.

        No, Rosa. You have to stay strong, I murmured to myself. Feeling lonely, I returned back to Athlea, who sensed my displeasure. “Come, let’s give a visit to Wendell,” I climbed up her back. There were so many things running on my mind, too many things. A tiny part of me was tempted by Dan’s offer. But more than that, the anxiety of being a part of the war was starting to get into me. I might not see everyone the next day, and even Conrad might die. There was no way to predict.

       “Shall I escort you, Princess?” Conrad walked by, Ryoren sniffing Athlea tenderly. “If you insist,” I replied, rather devoid of emotion. Talking to Dan took a toll on my already disarrayed state of mind. “Feeling messed up?” he asked. I rolled my eyes. “Do you think Arkkadia will appreciate some rain?” I chuckled in cold irony, some of Athlea’s happiness slowly finding the gaps in my walls. “Probably. So your hot-headedness is contagious, even to your best friend,” he twisted his lips in a mischievous look, pulling on my face. “What are you doing?” I murmured, unable to speak as he stretched my skin. “Smile. You look prettier that way,” he kissed me on the forehead, before jumping on Ryoren. I rolled my eyes again, this time unable to stop the tiny smile from spreading over my face. “Call Franciss along, I want to introduce her to someone.” It was time to repay my debts, slowly.

       The three of us left the crowd who were still having their lunch, now a light drizzle gradually washing over the dirt on their faces. With a long sigh, I pulled my hair back to one side, letting the cool drops clear my head. There was nothing but the rhythmic flapping of wings. I released my own emotional barriers, letting Athlea’s emotions mix with my own. Sometimes I was jealous of her – everything about being an animal seemed so simple. No complicated relationships, no big conflicts, just eating and sleeping. And more eating and sleeping again.

       Within an hour, we landed on the marble steps to the palace. We looked clearly out of place; some guards looked at us with surprise, ready for an attack. I waved my hand dismissively, walking past them with my dark brown leather cape fluttering. I looked back to see Conrad and Franciss’ confused faces. “Come,” I invited them, walking towards the main corridor.

       As usual, the Cresceran Palace still held its pride in terms of grandeur. The marble tiles made the place much more cooler, the tall pillars adorned with tiny scriptures and carvings made by the best of artists in history. It was even said that Fëylyn played a part in its architecture such that it would support the growth of the Telrianna tree. Whatever it was, its splendor was beyond compared to any other human infrastructure in the world.

       Franciss sighed in wonder as we walked past the gigantic tree. The Cresceran Palace consisted of three areas, although most of the rooms right now were currently unoccupied. On the East Wing were the royal chambers, where I, or any other royal guest, would stay. The important higher-ups, like Wendell and Terrea, were located at the West. At the center was the Telrianna, right behind a sprawling rose garden in the south.

       “I’d love to give you guys a tour tonight, but we’ll have to clean up first,” I smiled, giggling silently at their bewildered faces. “This certainly is too big of a house,” Conrad replied, trying to hide the surprise and amazement printed on his face. “I…It’s wonderful,” Franciss stammered, rather speechless. I smiled warmly at their remarks. “The Palace is majestic, sophisticated and of good age; if only its inhabitants will live as long.” I continued my long strides, going straight ahead.

       If only they knew, how much I wanted to escape such a place.