Chapter Two

"Andrea, my sweet baby, stay here. Your father and I will be back as soon as possible." I look up into the warm, smiling faces of a beautiful woman and a handsome man. They both have my brown hair and big, hazel eyes. They look so hopeful, but I can sense the urgency and fear in their eyes. "I promise we'll reunite once the battle is over," my mom says and places a soft kiss on my forehead. Then, there's a huge explosion. Five huge, looming figures barge into the room. My parents scream loudly. The scene turns black. 

"Hayley?" 

I'm being shaken awake. I blink and slowly open my eyes, adjusting to the unfamiliar brightness. Klaus, Rebekah, and Elijah are hovering over me. They look so relieved to see me alive and awake. Hope is lying in Klaus' arms, sucking her thumb and peering at me with big eyes. 

"Mom, it's me, Andrea." I mumble groggily, now sitting up, disoriented. 

Rebekah and Klaus exchange confused looks. 

"Er-your mother's not here," Elijah says like I've lost my memory. I shake my head and stand up, muscles aching. There's a pounding in my head. 

"Uh, nevermind." I decide against tellling them about my flashback. "Forget it. How'd I end up on the floor?"

"There was an attack by the Guerrera Wolves. They're out for our blood. One of them managed to snap your neck, but luckily, Klaus ripped the wolf's heart out and saved you and Hope," Rebekah summarizes and hands Hope to me from Klaus' arms. I kiss my baby, my heart filled with relief. 

Then, I feel totally pathetic. While they were fighting for me and my baby, I was knocked out by some puny wolf. I'm utterly useless and weak. However, I manage to offer my saviors a grateful smile. "I owe you guys my life." 

"You need rest and so does Hope. I'll return Hope to her crib, and you can clean up the small gash on your forehead," Rebekah says and cradles Hope lovingly from me. I reach up and touch my head. My fingers are covered in fresh blood. 

"Damnit, I'm such an idiot," I mutter, wiping the blood on my shirt. 

"Hayley, don't be so hard on yourself," Elijah says softly and rubs my arm comfortingly. 

"I'm powerless. What if one of you didn't come and save me on time? He would've taken Hope and killed her. I'm a sorry excuse for a mother. If I can't even protect myself, how can I trust myself to take care of Hope?" 

Frustrated tears slip from my eyes, and I angrily rub them away. Elijah reaches out and brings me into a hug. I bury my head into his shoulder, and the tears fall onto his ripped suit. "I'm so sorry Elijah. I ruined your suit," I whisper, feeling terrible. 

He laughs and squeezes me tighter. "Don't blame yourself for everything, Hayley. I'm sure it was that vindictive Francesca." 

"If you don't mind, I'd like to accompany Hayley to her room," Klaus breaks in as he walks into the room. Elijah releases me and nods. "Yes, go ahead. I'll clean up the mess the wolves left downstairs." 

"So, how'd the wolves break in?" I ask, walking by Klaus' side to my room. He doesn't reply. He just coldly ignores me. I roll my eyes and turn away. The old, indifferent, uncaring Klaus is back. It's like he never left. 

We stop by my door. I turn to him and awkwardly say," Well, uh, thanks. If it weren't for you, Hope wouldn't be here. I'm so sorry."

"You should be sorry. You put my daughter's life on the line. Your foolishness and weakness cost us more than just losing the battle to the wolves. We could've lost Hope. You're a mother now. Your first priority should be Hope."