Chapter 25: Ice Cream, Music, Reese Witherspoon

25. Ice Cream, Music, Reese Witherspoon

After the crowd dispersed I dragged Connor to the fountain nearby and dabbed the cut on his lip with a tissue. I couldn't help but feel something wasn't adding up.

"Thanks," he winced.

"It's no big deal," I shrugged.

I stopped dabbing and asked him. "What exactly happened Connor? What did you say to Shawn?"

"I told you," he began. "I just wanted to talk to him."

"Yeah but I know Shawn. He wouldn't lash out like that unless you pushed him."

He sighed. "I just told him to back off a bit."

"Connor I told you, Shawn and I were okay," I said.

"What about you?" he asked softly. "I hate seeing you all worked up for someone who doesn't even care."

I felt a sharp pain in my chest at the words 'who doesn't even care'.

Connor's hand slid down my arm and held my palm tightly.

"Connor-"

"I care about you Khalan," he told me. "A lot."

His fingers tucked my hair behind my ear and he cupped my face with his hand. I on the other hand was frozen, not knowing exactly how to react at his sudden confession. His lips gently grazed mine and I took in a sharp breath before taking a step back.

"Connor I can't."

He sighed. "I get it. It's not easy forgetting him."

"It's not," I said. "You're a nice guy and I like you bu-"

"But just not in the way you like Shawn," he completed, disappointed. "This was stupid."

He started to walk away but I held his arm. "No it wasn't."

He broke free. "Forget it Khalan, forget I said anything."

I sighed, suddenly feeling guilty for rejecting him especially after he's been so nice to me. He walked away and I groaned to myself. Why did everything have to be so complicated?

*********

So like I expected Connor started avoiding me. I guess I kind of understood him. I wouldn't face my crush after he flat out rejected me either. My phone cut through my thoughts when it started ringing. I sighed and reached for it.

"Hello."

"Get your ass to Jess' now," Shayley ordered.

I sat up on my bed. "Wait what? Everything okay?"

"Just come over," she said.

I exchanged my tank top for a loose t-shirt, slipped on some flip flops and headed for Jessica's house. When I got there I rang the doorbell. Shayley opened.

"Good, you're here."

"What the hell's going on?" I asked her.

"Go see for yourself."

She motioned towards the stairs and I went up to Jessica's room, her following closely behind. I opened the door gently and stepped in. All I saw was a big bundle of sheets on the bed.

"Jess, you okay?"

I heard her mumble something and went closer. "Come on Jess, talk to me."

"Austin b...."

"What?"

"Austin broke up with me," she managed to say.

"What? Why?"