Chapter 37 (2/2): You're My Forever

37. You're My Forever

I woke up when I heard someone banging a fist against the door of the van. I groaned a bit; my neck hurt. We had actually fallen asleep in the van in the middle of God knows where.

"Wake up!"

I was startled as the others opened their eyes as well.

"What the?" Austin asked.

"Who is that?" Shayley questioned.

Liam instantly became alert. "The guy I called. He's here!"

"Oh thank God," I said as we got down.

"It's barely six a.m.," Jessica pointed out when they were almost done fixing up the van. "The ceremony's not until ten thirty. If we leave now we may just make it back on time. It's a four hour drive after all."

"Allow me to drive," Jacob offered. "If I go fast enough I can get us back in three.

He got behind the wheel and the rest of us hurried inside as he started the van. He wasn't joking. He drove like a mad man. We made it back in a little over three hours but I at least had 45 minutes on the clock when I barged into my home.

"Khalan!" mom exclaimed. "Oh God I've been worried sick."

"Where have you been? You weren't answering your phone," my dad added.

"Long story, I'll explain later," I stopped them. "Right now I've got to get ready."

"Dude, I didn't come all the way here for you to miss your own graduation," Charlie said. "Hurry up."

I rushed up to my room and quickly got into the shower. I got ready as fast as I could and into my dad's car. It was only a few minutes till the ceremony began.

When I got to school I catapaulted out of the car and inside the halls where I met Connor.

"Where have you been?" he asked. "It's about to start."

"I'll explain later. Right now I need to get a cap and gown."

"Right here," he said and I realized he was holding one of each. "I've got you."

I sighed in gratitude. "Thank you, so much."

"It would have been real funny if the valedictorian missed graduation," he said as I slipped them on.

My eyes widened in realization. "My speech. Oh no, I left it in the pocket of my jeans."

"Oh...wow...uh look, just ad lib, you'll be fine," he said.

"I can't improvise," I panicked. "This is bad."

"Khalan, if there's anyone who's got this, it's you," he reassured me. "Just calm down and try to remember what you wrote. You'll be fine, trust me."

I managed to calm down and smiled at him, pecking him gently on the cheek. "Thank you."

He smiled back. "You're welcome. Now come on, it's about to begin."

******

I stepped out onto the field where it was being held and was basically pounced on by Shayley and Jessica.

"Can you believe it? We actually made it," Shayley laughed.

"Ready to give your speech?" Jess asked.

I looked at Connor and he smiled once more. "I hope so."

"You'll do great, come on, it's starting," Shayley said and we followed.