Chapter 35: We've Come A Long Way

35. We've Come A Long Way

"I don't know," I contemplated.

Emily sighed in exasperation. "At this rate you're going to show up at your prom in your underwear."

"It just doesn't feel right," I said.

"The last ninety-nine didn't feel right either," she said. "Another store then?"

I sighed. Who knew shopping for a dress would be this draining? Prom was two nights away and I was beginning to think my sister may be right.

"Hold on," she said. "There's one you haven't tried."

I huffed. "Is there any point?"

"Just give it a chance," she said.

I took it and went to change.

"Mind zipping me up?" I asked her.

She did just that and smiled after taking a look at me. "I think you'll like this one."

I stood in front of the mirror. She was right. It was a red gown with floral designs at the bottom. It was beautiful.

"So?" she asked.

"I'll take it," I smiled.

********

I was on another level of nervous that night.

"Come on honey let's see you!" mom shouted from downstairs.

I smoothened my hair once more and let out a breath in front of the mirror. I slowly walked downstairs. Mom sucked in a breath when she saw me and my dad just stood there staring.

My face fell. "Please don't start crying. This isn't my wedding day for crying out loud."

"I'll try not to," she joked.

"Pictures!" dad exclaimed.

Em laughed in the background while I covered my face in embarassment.

"Come on guys," I begged. "You didn't do this to Charlie on his senior prom."

"Just a few," dad pleaded.

I sighed. "Fine."

After a few more pictures the doorbell rang.

"Oh maybe we could-"

"Nope, I'll get you pictures from tonight!" I yelled as I raced towards the door. I wasn't going to let them take pictures of Shawn too.

I opened the door and there he stood, in all his glory. He was in a black tux and had his hair neatly combed. It definetly wasn't his everyday style but he pulled it off. Very well.

"Hey."

He stared at me for a second and let out a breath. "Wow. You look...beautiful."

My cheeks warmed. "Thanks."

A car honked and I looked over his shoulder to see a black stretch limo parked behind him on the street.

"Dude, stop gawking and let's go before we make it there tomorrow!" Jacob yelled.

Shawn snapped out of his trance and chuckled. "Shall we Princess?"

I smiled and placed my hand in his as he led me towards the vehicle. Everyone was inside the limo.

"I didn't know we were carpooling," I chuckled.

"The limo was Liam's idea," Shawn told me. "I thought it was good so I called in a favour and got us one."