| X's & O's |

"You aren't making this easy."

His voice was low, carrying a sense of indescribable emotion. I threw the thought away the second it came to mind. I didn't want to get my hopes up.

"You threw yourself in without learning how to swim. That's what it feels like." I counter, pulling my sweater back onto my shoulder as it fell from its large size.

Spring was flourishing in Gotham, the idea of having no parents at such a young age being a daunting thought. Two months seemed to pass so quickly and I realized that time does indeed heal wounds to some extent.

"Like what?" He spits quickly and I fold my arms in front of me, giving him a mocking glare.

"Affection. Love. The basic human emotions."

He rolls his eyes and waves his hands in the air in agitation.

"I ain't felt that way in a long time. It's not something that just happens..."

I walk up to him slowly, a cool breeze swirling around us as we had an odd but comfortable stare off.

"You ain't leaving, are you?" He asks lowly and I smile in response.

"Are you giving up this city—"

"—my city—"

"—does your ego ever sleep, Joker?"

His chest rumbles with some deep chuckles before he licks his lips, looking down at me with curious eyes.

"You know, Wayne...you're not as bad as you make yourself out to be."

I shake my head at him, trying to hide my smile as I answered him back, "Ditto."

He steps back and begins to walk over to his van as I follow behind him slowly.

"What'll you be up to these days? With Gotham in apparent remission from Bane's ruthless attack..." I ask casually and he slides the door open, whistling and slicking his curls out of his face.

"I ain't got that far yet, doll. I'm not great with plannin'-"

"Bullsh-"

His gloved finger rested over my lips, stopping the  profanity from tumbling out as he squinted down at me. He wanted to smile, but was trying his best to stifle it. He was failing miserably. It resulted in a lopsided smirk that would be burned in my memory bank forever. His famous crooked smile.

"Next time I see you, I'll bring soap to wash that mouth out."

"Look at the pot calling the kettle black." I say, laughing lightly.

He keeps me close for a moment, his fingers going from my mouth to push back my long hair which fluttered into my face from the brisk wind.

"That guy still around?" He asks deeply, curiously. I close my eyes for a second, wishing I could answer him differently.

"He is."

"And?"

"And...he won't be leaving anytime soon. We've got a lot in common, him and I."

He lets me go, clambering into the van and shutting the door. It leaves me feeling a bit hollow inside. He leans out the window, watching me as I cross my arms.

"So. This is it then? The big finale?"

"Minus the sparks." I add, making him smirk.

He turns away for a moment and I become a bit overwhelmed at the situation being played out in front of me. I felt like I was losing a very personal part of me and it hurt. Bad. I wasn't sure if I wanted to lose this, too.