| Burn |

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Wayne Enterprises was stocked top to bottom with scared citizens who were huddled together in fear. Huddled as if that would solve the chaotic situation at hand.

I was being held at gunpoint currently with Jim, Lucius, James, and the lovely Miranda Tate. This muddy situation occurred when James and I waltzed into the building, trying to figure out some way to disarm the supernova bomb that was currently under Gotham and hours from exploding.

I felt defeated both mentally and physically as I knelt before a group of Bane's mercenaries. The only thing to be heard were frantic whispers between people and screams here and there. I look over at James who hadn't said a word to me since I left the other night to meet my schizophrenic boy-toy at the docks.

"Hey..." I begin, pushing him lightly in the shoulder with a trying smile.

He looks at me with confliction, wearing a frown.

"Look, I know we've run out of apologies but I'm sorry. I'm just stubborn like you said, but I can handle myself. I make decisions on my own terms, and wish people would respect that. I never meant to hurt you along the way. Especially if we're dying in a few hours, I'd rather talk on deaf ears than not at all."

I see a small smirk on his features as he nods.

"You're not too bad, Veronica. I respect you, although not your decisions all the time. I accept your apology. I'm also an asshole, so I'm sorry too."

I nod and let out a big breath, not realizing I was holding it at all.

"I am so sorry, being the face of Wayne Enterprises and having this occur is horrible. I hope you could forgive-" Miranda begins sorrowfully but I cut her off.

I never liked her, she seemed off. Sneaky.

"—interestingly enough, though, you're not the face of Wayne Enterprises. I'm the heir of everything my father owns, so you are nothing to this company. I'll be the one worrying about the effects of this situation."

"Miss.Wayne, if I may—"

"No, Lucius. This is my father's legacy, be it wrong or right. I'll be held accountable for such actions." I spit and Miranda gives me a smug look, her damsel act melting away in seconds.

"I apologize for the misunderstanding, Miss.Wayne. I'm sure everything will be sorted accordingly." She replies curtly as a flock of armed men walk towards us.

"Get up, Wayne. Bane wants you alone."

I don't look up and I don't make a move.
In an instant, two men grab my arms forcefully. They begin dragging me up to my feet and James begins to shout in protest.

"Take me, come on! I'm GCPD-" He states and the men look at him scornfully.

"You'll get your sentence next." They spit as they push me roughly down the hall and away from the flock of shaking bodies.

"Any last words, beautiful?" One of them mock me as they laugh, their grip still very strong on my arm.

"Fuck you." I say, spitting in his face as the man pushes me forcefully into the door. It opens from the force of my body, causing me to lose my balance as I'm practically slammed to the polished granite floor in the next room.