60: dean

"I'll get it." Dean mumbled as he stepped away from Cas.

He walked across the room, and as he made his way down the hallway he could faintly make out the figure standing in front of the door from the frosted glass beside it.

He knew who it was before he even opened the door... and yet he was still surprised when he reached for that handle and pulled the door open to see his father standing out on the front porch.

"Didn't know you were going to be here." His deep voice sounded disappointed as he made his way into the house.

"Always nice to see you, John." Dean curtly nodded closing the door behind him.

"Where's Sammy at?" He said looking around the room.

"First of all, I'm the only one who gets to call him that. And second of all, I don't even get a hello? Do you seriously not care that much?"

"Hey dad!" Sam's voice popped around the corner.

"Hey son." John waved down the hall at Sam.

"Glad you could make it." His brother said coming up behind him.

"Of course he made it, how could he miss his favorite son's birthday?" Dean mocked under his breath with a fake smile.

"Dean..." He started to say back, before Sam interrupted.

"How about you come meet my friends?" Sam piped in, clearly trying to break the tension as he waved John over to the kitchen.

"Um, sure." He responded following Sam.

Dean watched from behind them as Sam led their father into the kitchen.

"You remember Kevin right? We were in robotics together in high school." He motioned over to where Kevin was sitting next to Charlie in front of the counter.

They both turned around with the mention of his name.

"Ah the one with the perfect ACT score." John replied back pointing at Kevin.

"Yeah that's him." Charlie said hitting Kevin's shoulder with a smile.

"And you are...?" John shifted his gaze over to the redhead.

"Charlie Bradbury." She waved, leaning her head over on Kevin's shoulder.

"You Kevin's girlfriend?"

"God no. My girlfriend would not approve."

"How is she by the way?" Dean said moving around Sam and John with Cas behind in tow.

"She's good actually. We just adopted a puppy a few weeks ago, and she's moving in soon."

"Wow, that's great. Tell her we said hi." Sam chimes in.

"Can we get a puppy Deaaaaan?" Cas whispered as he held onto Dean's arm.

"Not right now. Bobby doesn't like pets in the apartments."

"Pleaseeeee?"

"Later Cas." Dean whispered back.

"So... you're a lesbian." John mumbled.

"So... yeah. Who cares?" Charlie shot back, almost brushing his comment off as worthless.

"Hey, I think the pizza is almost done!" Jess chimed in, catching everyone's attention.

"Perfect. You guys can go ahead and grab drinks, you know where they are." Sam motioned over to the fridge as he followed his girlfriend over to the oven and started grabbing dishes to put out on the dining table.

John followed them both out into the dining room with food, as the rest of the group dispersed to the left half of the kitchen.

"Cas?" Dean whispered over to his boyfriend, who was still wrapped around his arm.

"Yeah?" He looked up as they started to walk towards the fridge where everyone was pulling out various types of drinks ranging from soda to wine.

"I don't feel very good."

"What's wrong?"

"I don't know. I just... I don't know I almost feel scared and sick and like I ran a marathon all at the same time."

"Hey. It's okay. You're probably getting really anxious, don't worry. I'm right here."

"I don't want to see him anymore." His voice tapered off.

"Just don't talk to him you'll be fine. I'll answer for the both of us okay? Just enjoy your food and relax."

Dean closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"I'm right here next to you the whole time." Cas leaned over to his shoulder as they reached the fridge. "You hear me, Dean?"

"Yes angel." He replied softly, placing a kiss on top of his shorter boyfriends head.

Cas let go of his arm and went to go pick up a cup next to the fridge as the rest of the party moved into the dining room.

"So Kevin, what are you studying now?" Dean heard his fathers voice from the other room.

"Um well I'm actually double majoring right now, Engineering and Mathematics."

"Really?"

Dean tuned out the rest of the chatter and watched as Cas poured Coke into his cup.

"Hey Cas, can you get me a beer?"

Cas reached farther back into the fridge and pulled out a brown bottle that he handed to Dean without looking.

"Heck, make it two. It's gonna be a long night."