0034. CAN YOU JUST SHUT THE DUCK UP?

SHE PROMISED
( part two, chapter thirty-four )

"AND WHAT WOULD KATRIELLE THINK?" came Elijah's voice, hoarse and breathy. "Does she know what you're doing? Does she know you tried to sacrifice your grandchild?" He twisted his hands to grip the chains.

Esther kneeled in front of her son, looking at the sweat dripping down his forehead. "What your sister does not know won't hurt her," she said. "She doesn't even know that you're here."

"You didn't answer my question," Elijah said, hissing at his mother. "Does she know that it was you who tried to kill Niklaus' daughter? That it was you who had sent orders to slaughter a newborn child?"

"No, she doesn't," Esther said. She had a smirk on her lips as she cocked her head, almost in a teasing manner. "And as long as your here, you won't be able to tell her. Besides, she's just a child; she wouldn't understand."

Elijah glared heavily at his mother. "What is there to understand? Hope 一" He cut himself off, shakily exhaling. "She was a baby and you planned to kill her before her birth."

"What could you understand?" Esther said. "I did what I thought was right because if not..." She stopped herself, almost as if she was hiding something. "Anyways, why don't you get your bearings? We have much to discuss."

☆ ☆ ☆

A furious and rapid knock came onto her door and the moment she opened it, she was instantly greeted with an angry Klaus, who looked like his ears were ready to start shooting out steam. When he pushed past her, she said with a sarcastic tone, "Well, good afternoon to you, too, Nik. Please come on in and make yourself at home."

She shut the door behind him, practically slamming it. Klaus whirled on his heel. "Oh, go on, where is he?" he demanded, eyes narrowed in a glare. "I know you know where he is so might as well give up your jig now."

"Might I ask what jig I'm supposedly dancing?" Elle asked, crossing her arms and leaning on her right leg. Her lips were pressed together.

"Elijah," Klaus barked. "You know where he is. So tell me now."

"You know, I'd love to tell you," Elle started, "but truth be told, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I haven't seen him in days, since he came here to apologize for what you said and did." Before Klaus could say anything, she continued. "Why do you even assume that I know where our brother is?"

He turned to her, eyes filled with anger. "He is not your brother." He pointed a finger at her chest.

She took a step towards him, stomping her foot furiously. "He's more my blood than he is yours!" Elle shouted. She watched as his eyes grew dark with pain and Elle bit her lip, instantly regretting her words. "Sorry, it's just... look, I understand that you don't accept me as your own or whatever and that I'm working with our mother so I'm supposedly super evil too, but I don't know where he is." She unfolded her arms and looked towards the window. "I swear I don't!"

"Then how do you know that our mother did not take him?" Klaus asked. "How do you know that she's not hurting him?"

"Because she wouldn't do that!" Elle shouted. "She wouldn't hurt her children."

"What about her own grandchild?"

Elle blinked quickly, brows scrunched in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

Klaus smirked, taking a step back. "Oh, don't you know," he said in a mocking tone, "that it was our mother that orchestrated my child's death?" Elle shook her head, tears lining her vision. "She's the one that plotted to kill my child and when she was done, she came after us."

"You're lying," Elle whispered, pointing a finger at him. "You're just trying to turn me against her."

"Yes, you've known I'm always one for chaos, but I'm not lying. I've never lied to you before, Elle." He took a steady step towards her, hands behind his back. "But have you never guessed it? Esther is buried here in the Crescent City and so she joins the Ancestors; the Ancestors were the ones who gave the orders to 一"

"Just stop it, Nik," Elle whispered, letting out a shuddering breath. Her hands were shaking. "Please, just..."

But Klaus did not stop and did not look like he wanted to stop. "Ever since her arrival, she has tried to kill each and every one of us, even twisting Finn. She is using your naïvety to turn you against us, falling for all her false promises of the future she has in store for us." He knew that she was getting upset, but in that moment, it didn't matter. She had to know the truth. "You can't tell me you're actually falling for what she says. She's been manipulating you since day one and –"

"Enough!" Elle finally shouted. Her eyes were squeezed shut and she threw her clenched fists down.

Instantly, she could hear glass shattering around her, the shards breaking off and falling onto the wooden floor. Elle could feel a few pieces of glass scratch her arms but she didn't notice. When she opened her eyes, she saw the destruction around her, how each of the glass shards lay on the ground like little daggers violently reflecting the light of the afternoon sun.

Shuddered breaths fell from her lips as she looked around. The glass of the cabinets, windows, and the television were all broken and now laying on the wood. Elle looked down at her hands before back at the shattered remnants. I... did this? she thought. She looked down at her arms, seeing that nothing had stuck in her skin but she had gotten several scratches and cuts.

Klaus was still standing a few feet from her, shock in those blue eyes of his and seemingly unharmed. He struggled to find his voice.

"Don't," Elle said, her voice weak. "Just... go. Please."

He gave her a small nod and he said something under his breath, something she could hear, as he disappeared from her apartment. If Elle could've heard what he said, she'd very clearly here Klaus say, "I'm sorry, Katrielle."